351 Boss Oil Pan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KT-69

Reaction score
My Car
All 65 to 73
So the Boss pan is same size with 6 instead of 5 quarts as other 351-C pans. One more quart is added. There is a special dip stick with black handle to indicate level for 6 quarts. And the Boss had some sort of windage tray attached below the crankshaft.

So is that it...or is there something else another slosh plate perhaps on the Boss and CJ oil pans that the standard 2V and 4V oil pans do not have???????

See attachment. All 351-C have the "A" baffle next the oil pick-up. The Boss has an additional baffle welded to the pan baffle "B"......correct????? Does teh Boss have this additional baffle plus a windage tray or just the additional baffle which some are calling a windage tray.

boss pan arrows.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Boss pan is same size with 6 instead of 5 quarts as other 351-C pans. One more quart is added. There is a special dip stick with black handle to indicate level for 6 quarts. And the Boss had some sort of windage tray attached below the crankshaft.

So is that it...or is there something else another slosh plate perhaps on the Boss and CJ oil pans that the standard 2V and 4V oil pans do not have???????

See attachment. All 351-C have the "A" baffle next the oil pick-up. The Boss has an additional baffle welded to the pan baffle "B"......correct????? Does teh Boss have this additional baffle plus a windage tray or just the additional baffle which some are calling a windage tray.
The picture you are showing is a Boss 351 pan. Baffle B is unique to the Boss/H.O. cleveland. ALL other cleveland engines, regardless of it was an H, M or Q code, received the same pan only without the windage baffle. They just had baffle A.

6 qrt windage tray.jpgTHX......I have to wonder how important the extra baffle is if wanting to run 6 quarts of oil? Wouldn't a windage tray that bolts onto the lower block just below the crankshaft serve the same purpose? Or is there something unique and superior to the BOSS/HO baffle that would be worth trying to reverse enginer and spot weld into a standard 351-C oil pan. Anyone ever measured and recorded the size, shape and location of the BOSS/HO baffle? Is there a repro of the BOSS/HO oil pan with the extra baffle? Most of the basic OEM style oil pans I see for sale seemed to have only the standard "A" baffle. And those list the standard oil pan as being applicable to the BOSS and HO 351-C.

This is the same pan used on 71CJ and 72-74 351C 4V/CJ. I have one removed from my 72 CJ and one I removed from a 74 Torino 4V. The 6 quarts capacity issue has been discussed here in the past. Chuck

EDIT: follow this link. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-oil-capacity?page=2&highlight=6+quart

EDIT: clarified first line to"71CJ and 72-74 351C 4V/CJ"

The picture you are showing is a Boss 351 pan. Baffle B is unique to the Boss/H.O. cleveland. ALL other cleveland engines, regardless of it was an H, M or Q code, received the same pan only without the windage baffle. They just had baffle A.
I beg to differ on the statement that ALL 351C's have baffle 'A'. The one on my 71 M code does NOT have a baffle for sure. I had the have the oil plug hole re-threaded when the engine was rebuilt, so I know it does not. I also have a spare pan the does not have a baffle either. Not sure of the year of that one though. Perhaps the baffle A was added for years later than 70-71? Just saying!

Interesting.........appears 4V also had the "B" baffle. I wonder some of those on eBay listed as BOSS 351 with a hefty cost might just be a std 4V pan. Good to know.

I have hunch my 2V 351 will not have the "B" plate so I will run a bolt-on windage tray with 6 quarts.

Interesting.........appears 4V also had the "B" baffle. I wonder some of those on eBay listed as BOSS 351 with a hefty cost might just be a std 4V pan. Good to know.

I have hunch my 2V 351 will not have the "B" plate so I will run a bolt-on windage tray with 6 quarts.
I have a 1971 M-Code, 351-4V, and the oil pan has both, the "A" and "B" baffles.

I have a 1971 M-Code, 351-4V, and the oil pan has both, the "A" and "B" baffles.
Tony, now that is strange!! I have absolutely no doubt that the one on my engine is the original standard no baffle oil pan. This engine was built Jan 12 71. Could it be that baffles were added after that date to M code oil pans? I wish I did have a baffle in mine as I love to 'corner' it pretty hard sometimes just for fun. Something to look for at the junk yards etc.

Tony, now that is strange!! I have absolutely no doubt that the one on my engine is the original standard no baffle oil pan. This engine was built Jan 12 71. Could it be that baffles were added after that date to M code oil pans? I wish I did have a baffle in mine as I love to 'corner' it pretty hard sometimes just for fun. Something to look for at the junk yards etc.
My engine build date is in November 1970. However, i have no way of knowing if this is the original pan.

1971 M-code Mach 1

My engine build date is in November 1970. However, i have no way of knowing if this is the original pan.

1971 M-code Mach 1
Okaaaay! it gets stranger by the minute. I thought perhaps that a change was made between my d/c and the intro of the Q code, but I guess not. As I mentioned, I have no doubt that the one on my engine is original as there was no evidence the motor had ever been out of the car. However, I suppose it is possible that the pan got damaged and changed, no way of knowing that.

Could it be the other way, that the early engines had the baffles and then it was removed to save costs.

1971 M-code Mach 1
That could be also, or it could just be another Ford anomaly. some got the baffle some didn't depending on what was available on the day.

Could it be the other way, that the early engines had the baffles and then it was removed to save costs.

1971 M-code Mach 1
That could be also, or it could just be another Ford anomaly. some got the baffle some didn't depending on what was available on the day.
This would be my guess based on C9Zx's post of the 72 and 74 oil pans with the additional baffle.

Some very interesting finds! This probably boils down to parts availability for those 72 and newer cars, not sure why the 71's had them, very cool.

I know for certain the windage baffled pans did not come on every CJ, 4V engine as I have had 4 original Torino/Montego CJ cars, 2 CJ mach's and 2 M code 71's and not one of them had one of these pans. All 3 of my boss 351's had one though. I did have a 73 2V cougar that had this pan, but I wrote that off as someone replaced it. Maybe not?? Hard to tell with Ford sometimes:)

According to that chart, all 4V engines received the windage baffled "CJ" pan. That is interesting. Anyone have access to ford parts books/microfiche? That would be another good source to see if the part numbers are the same across the board for 4V engines.

According to that chart, all 4V engines received the windage baffled "CJ" pan. That is interesting. Anyone have access to ford parts books/microfiche? That would be another good source to see if the part numbers are the same across the board for 4V engines.
It says 71 CJ(Q) not 71 4V(M).

Latest posts

Back