• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71 J Code Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragtop

Reaction score
My Car
70 Torino GT Conv
Not my listing but wanted to share with anyone who might be interested. There is a guy in Houston who has a 71 Mach 1 J code, supposedly with the original 429 motor and C6 trans. The car is a complete rust bucket, but most of the parts are there excluding the hood and both fenders. Dude's asking $3500 but I know he will take less.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2354781308.html

I looked at the pics and.... ok... Where´s the car?!? I see a lot of holes surrounded by rust and a little metal.....

That´s the thing you buy to get the title, engine and trans so you can convert a standard sportsroof into an original Jcode and crush the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the pics and.... ok... Where´s the car?!? I see a lot of holes surrounded by rust and a little metal.....

That´s the thing you buy to get the title, engine and trans so you can convert a standard sportsroof into an original Jcode and crush the rest.
That's what I was thinking, it would be a good donor car for the VIN and power train.

That's what I was thinking, it would be a good donor car for the VIN and power train.
Not worth $3500 to me though. Who knows what condition the engine and trans are in, that's big money to get them in good shape.

His add title says

1972 mach 1 429 scobrajet - $3500 (humble)

I think a 72 429 scj would have to be a 1 of 1 or maybe a Ford experimental ???

ya..sounds fishy..lol..never know what it really is till you look at the codes with your own eyes...my freind drove 400 miles to check out a 69 mach 1..{atleast that is what he said on his add} he drove up there..looked at the codes...it was just a fast back mustang..and really in bad shape...codes said it was the low preformance one too...lol..wasnt even close too what he said it was in the add.

His add title says

1972 mach 1 429 scobrajet - $3500 (humble)

I think a 72 429 scj would have to be a 1 of 1 or maybe a Ford experimental ???

Sorry. I should have mentioned in my original post that even though the add says '72, it's really a '71. The '72 model didn't come with a 429 and when I looked at the car and checked the VIN it was clearly a '71. He also says it's a SCobra Jet. I'm not as savvy as some of you guys, but I read on the internet that to be a Super Cobra Jet car the rear gear should be a 390 or 411. This car came with 325 gears.

Back