The Trunk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
Am in the final stages of soundproofing, enclosing, and adding woofers to the trunk. Been a long haul, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

This adding a ton of weight, but no worse than having a couple dead bodies in the trunk :p

Cleaning was a royal PITA....

P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Globbed on the sound proofing Second Skin undercoat. about 60 pounds here.

P1010002.jpg

Now this is some serious sound proofing. probably added another 80 pounds. Foam, plastic core, more foam, and adhesive backed. I was told this it would work alot better if I actually adhered it to the body panels, but i am not up for going quite that far...

P1010005.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Most of all of the boxing is done with 1/2" birch, some oak that I had left over from a different project. probably another 100 pounds in wood.

P1010011.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010028.jpg

P1010027.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010023.jpg

img

P1010030.jpg

Woofer boxes are 3/4 birch.

P1010020.jpg

Ready to start carpeting....

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good!

I only have one question, if a tail light or a side marker light goes out, how do you change them?
3 screws need to be removed to take off the cover for either tail light.

In order to get to the side makers, it is a more complicated. I'd have to remove the tail light cover, the angled looking part, and then the side wall. I thought about making a large port hole (that I could cover) in the side wall. But instead installed LED lights in the side markers, so with any luck, I'll never have to replace them. :whistling:

Even then, It would be way easier than replacing the headlight in the HHR :mad:

I'm thinking trim carpenter or cabinet maker. Either way, the wood working is impressive. It is not anything I'd ever consider but, to each his own. I hope the project works out to your satisfaction. Chuck

yea, I did a couple years of fine detail carpentry in another life......I really enjoy it as a hobby, ..........This will be real easy for anyone to take out........................ If you have the owners manual :)

thanks for the replies everyone.........

woofers ......aimed down with air path toward the interior only, I wanted to aim them toward the seat, but no way to make that work...if you hang out a a stereo/woofer forum, you'll discover that there are as many opinions on how to mount speakers in the trunk is there are members :) sort of like building a car

PB150001.jpg

PB150004.jpg

PB150005.jpg

PB150008.jpg

Those sites are where I found out how easy it is to do the carpeting.....

Each to his own. I just tore all that out of one and cursed the previous owner for putting all that stuff in. Welding cable for power supply couple big amps and trunk full of woofers. That is what makes the world turn no two are alike.

Looks like you are a carpenter by trade.
I'm with David, sorry guys...It's a "CLASSIC" Mustang and shouldn't be altered like that. Just my 2 cents!

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to mods, but I like this one. The sound system quality and trunk amenities of our 7173s left some room for improvement. Plus you got two great big woofers in the deal. Besides the extra weight, whats not to like?

Scott

Back