Am in the final stages of soundproofing, enclosing, and adding woofers to the trunk. Been a long haul, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

This adding a ton of weight, but no worse than having a couple dead bodies in the trunk :P

Cleaning was a royal PITA....

P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Globbed on the sound proofing Second Skin undercoat. about 60 pounds here.

P1010002.jpg

Now this is some serious sound proofing. probably added another 80 pounds. Foam, plastic core, more foam, and adhesive backed. I was told this it would work alot better if I actually adhered it to the body panels, but i am not up for going quite that far...

P1010005.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Most of all of the boxing is done with 1/2" birch, some oak that I had left over from a different project. probably another 100 pounds in wood.

P1010011.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010028.jpg

P1010027.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010030.jpg

Woofer boxes are 3/4 birch.

P1010020.jpg

Ready to start carpeting....

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

WOW! Looking good.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Awesome.... all that weight should give you more traction... :)

1971 M-code Mach 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

That looks great!!

I only have one question, if a tail light or a side marker light goes out, how do you change them?

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

I only have one question, if a tail light or a side marker light goes out, how do you change them?

3 screws need to be removed to take off the cover for either tail light.

In order to get to the side makers, it is a more complicated. I'd have to remove the tail light cover, the angled looking part, and then the side wall. I thought about making a large port hole (that I could cover) in the side wall. But instead installed LED lights in the side markers, so with any luck, I'll never have to replace them. :whistling:

Even then, It would be way easier than replacing the headlight in the HHR :@

73 ragtop, 1999 Mustang Bright Atlantic Blue Paint, Phoenix Engine 302-335HP,  Edelbrock Carb & Performer manifold; c4 with 2000 stall and shiftkit; 3:55 auburn limited slip differential, Hedman shorties; Car Chemistry Exhaust

Classic Air; Tilt Steering Wheel; 1999 Chrysler Sebring bucket Seats ; power windows;

Each to his own. I just tore all that out of one and cursed the previous owner for putting all that stuff in. Welding cable for power supply couple big amps and trunk full of woofers. That is what makes the world turn no two are alike.

Looks like you are a carpenter by trade.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I'm thinking trim carpenter or cabinet maker. Either way, the wood working is impressive. It is not anything I'd ever consider but, to each his own. I hope the project works out to your satisfaction. Chuck

yea, I did a couple years of fine detail carpentry in another life......I really enjoy it as a hobby, ..........This will be real easy for anyone to take out........................ If you have the owners manual :)

thanks for the replies everyone.........

woofers ......aimed down with air path toward the interior only, I wanted to aim them toward the seat, but no way to make that work...if you hang out a a stereo/woofer forum, you'll discover that there are as many opinions on how to mount speakers in the trunk is there are members :) sort of like building a car

PB150001.jpg

PB150004.jpg

PB150005.jpg

PB150008.jpg

Those sites are where I found out how easy it is to do the carpeting.....

• 6 months later...

And Done..... I took a bunch more in order of installation so I can figuer out how to take it apart in the future. :whistling:

P6030022.jpg

P6030044.jpg

P6030023.jpg

P6030024.jpg

P6030040.jpg

P6030054.jpg

P6030060.jpg

P6030005.jpg

P6030004_1.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great! Nicely done sir.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Looks great. Where does the spare go?

Each to his own. I just tore all that out of one and cursed the previous owner for putting all that stuff in. Welding cable for power supply couple big amps and trunk full of woofers. That is what makes the world turn no two are alike.

I'm with David, sorry guys...It's a "CLASSIC" Mustang and shouldn't be altered like that. Just my 2 cents!

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to mods, but I like this one. The sound system quality and trunk amenities of our 7173s left some room for improvement. Plus you got two great big woofers in the deal. Besides the extra weight, whats not to like?

Scott

Looks great. Where does the spare go?

There is no way to make the original full size spare fit. I'm getting ready to go to the local "pick your part" salvage yard to get a space saver from a late model car. The bolt pattern hasn't changed at all thru the years.

I'm with David, sorry guys...It's a "CLASSIC" Mustang and shouldn't be altered like that. Just my 2 cents!

I'm "something" of a traditionalist myself... when it comes to doing things that completely detract away from the car's lines and style (like a lot of the high-end remodels I've seen lately that attempt to turn the cars into modern touring cars - "slammed with dubs," for instance).  But since I've been at this site, I've learned to embrace the, "it's your car, build it how you like," mantra... and have witnessed countless incredibly well-done customization projects over the years.

This is yet one more of those incredibly well-done projects.  ::thumb::

I like this because the trunk area from the factory was really poorly finished.  If you put anything in the trunk with any weight to it, it's going to slide to one side or the other and likely leave a lasting impression on the outside body work because there's nothing stopping it from doing so.  Personally, I think that was a 'foul' from the factory.  I get it that most cars don't have enclosed trunk areas, per se, but having rear quarter panel 'zits' and pock-marks as a result of an accidentally non-secured jack sliding around is just poor design practice, IMHO.  The non-usable area immediately behind the rear seat of non-folding rear seat cars is just begging for a set of sub-woofers as well. So, it's not just cool, it's functional as well.

Classic or not, at the end of the day it's your car - build it how you like. 

And this, I like.  :bravo:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Mister 4x4,

I agree with you on the functionality on the 71 - 73 trunk space. In matter of fact, I believe the whole classic mustang line, 1964 1/2 to 1973 suffered the same problem. The tail lights and side quarters were all vulnerable to damage from loose stuff. Other than unfortunate additional weight, it sure is pretty!

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne