Getting wax off of matte black hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I'm due to pick up my car from Body and Paint and The Body Shop sent me some pics ahead of time. I see from the pics that they actually have polish or wax on my matte black which I'm a little concerned about. I've heard several people say you can never get the wax out. I'm wondering if anyone out there has accidentally wax their matte black hood and was successfully able to get the wax out. I don't know if I should make a big thing about it at The Body Shop. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

IMG_04931.jpg

I would be surprised if they actually applied wax to a fresh paint job. Properly applied, the matte can have a certain sheen that could be mistaken for 'wax' or 'polish' in a picture. I would ask them for peace of mind.

Have the body shop take some Prep Solvent and wash the area. It should remove the wax. Prep Solv. is used to clean wax, oils and similar off the surface of the body before paint prep is started.

Don't know what paint the used but some do not want you to wax for a while after repaint.

Going to be a sharp car for sure.

I would be surprised if they actually applied wax to a fresh paint job. Properly applied, the matte can have a certain sheen that could be mistaken for 'wax' or 'polish' in a picture. I would ask them for peace of mind.
If you zoom in it something that I'm assuming is wax.

wax.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First...it looks fantastic!!! Do you know the color code?

I'm pretty sure they didn't wax the matte finish. I'm not a fan of using Prep Solvent on fresh paint.

I would discuss any of your concerns with the shop prior to picking up the car. I also doubt they would have waxed fresh paint. Most likely some buffing compound haze or splatter. I would have them clean the area of concern before you take the car. Does look good.

Hey Jim, your car looks fantastic. The last time I saw it it was in pieces on the kitchen table. It's really turning out nice. I would agree the shop take care of what ever is on the matte black.

Tim

If the shop had to compound & buff the paint, that white residue is the compound material.. I use Meguiars and it splatters white droplets all over the place when used with a buffing machine.. The good thing is that it's easily removed with a mild soap and water solution, using a face cloth.. Rinse it off with clean water and shammy it dry.

Back