351 c flywheel specifications

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Would anyone here happen to have any flywheel specifications for the 351C.

I recently brought my donor car flywheel to the machine shop after I had replaced the ring gear.

it does appear to be the correct flywheel for my application

C5AE-6380-E with a date code of 3E21.

The guy at the shop said it cleaned up perfectly at -.005'' removed.

This is clearly evident cause I micked it before and after before 1.020'' and after 1.015''.

This is NOT supposed to happen with a 40 + year old parts.

So did the previous owner just have it machined or replaced and never drive the car again?

If I had a thickness specification at least I would know a little more.

no hot spots no nothing.

any ideas ?

Boilermaster

I just had a quick look on Mustangtek.com. No info on the thickness, BUT C5AE-6380-E lists as a 302 with an 11 3/8th PP bolt circle for a 10" clutch, whereas C5AE-6380-A list as will fit 351C amongst other 164 T ring gear with a 12 3/8th" pp bolt circle for an 11" clutch.

All have 28oz balance.

Are you sure you have a 351C flywheel, and not a 302?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a quick look on Mustangtek.com. No info on the thickness, BUT C5AE-6380-E lists as a 302 with an 11 3/8th PP bolt circle for a 10" clutch, whereas C5AE-6380-A list as will fit 351C amongst other 164 T ring gear with a 12 3/8th" pp bolt circle for an 11" clutch.

All have 28oz balance.

Stanglover,

pretty sure, 11'' clutch & p0ressure plate were removed from this flywheel.

The C5AE-6380-E is the casting number, will look a little closer this evening for the actual part number.

Boilermaster

All have 28oz balance.

Stanglover,

pretty sure, 11'' clutch & p0ressure plate were removed from this flywheel.

The C5AE-6380-E is the casting number, will look a little closer this evening for the actual part number.

Boilermaster
Yeah, I was going from Mustangtek info, that may NOT be totally correct. Usually very reliable, but there are mistakes. Best to measure what you have and count the ring gear. From the casting numbers it would be obvious that that design flywheel has been around way before our era cars hit the streets.

Hope you have the correct part, so let us know.

Geoff.

All have 28oz balance.

Stanglover,

pretty sure, 11'' clutch & p0ressure plate were removed from this

flywheel.

Boilermaster
Yeah, I was going from Mustangtek info, that may NOT be totally correct. Usually very reliable, but there are mistakes. Best to measure what you have and count the ring gear. From the casting numbers it would be obvious that that design flywheel has been around way before our era cars hit the streets.

Geoff.
Stanglover,

Just checked the stamping on the flywheel = C7TE-A

So it is the correct flywheel.

Jeff73mach1,

if you would be so kind as to put a micrometer on your flywheel and

give a holler back with readings and if you know if it has been machined in it's lifetime.

at least if yours is noticeably thicker, I should know that mine has been taken down at some time.

Thanks Boilermaster

Stanglover,

pretty sure, 11'' clutch & p0ressure plate were removed from this

flywheel.

Boilermaster

Geoff.
Stanglover,

Just checked the stamping on the flywheel = C7TE-A

So it is the correct flywheel.

Jeff73mach1,

if you would be so kind as to put a micrometer on your flywheel and

give a holler back with readings and if you know if it has been machined in it's lifetime.

at least if yours is noticeably thicker, I should know that mine has been taken down at some time.

Thanks Boilermaster
That's good news. A C7TE-A! Where did the other number come from? At least you know what you have, you just need the correct specs for it to be sure it's okay.

Geoff.

Back