DynoSim Calculations for My Engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

As I personally am not a fan of Dyno testing a freshly rebuilt engine (especially with the $$ invested), I utilized the simulation process using the DynoSim computer software to help meet my final goal.

My objective when rebuilding this engine was to remain near stock configuration except for adding those few components that would help improve engine reliability.

These BB factory cj motors really are torque monsters, especially in the street able range of 1500-5500 rpm. Pretty impressive HP rating also for this stock configuration. More then enough for my vert...

Last edited:
It's a shame that the HP numbers drop significantly after 7500 RPM's. This is probably due to the parts flying out of the engine block. ;) Yes I can also attest to the low RPM torque of this engine. I usually troll around in the 3000 to 3500 RPM range prior to shifting, while watching out for people texting and driving, and you can feel the massive grunt of the engine. I have a '71 Mach 1 Sportsroof 429-4V CJ Ram Air with Close Ratio four speed Top Loader, 1 of 556 from the Marti report. That number includes CJ and SCJ, but I believe it's 230 if only counting the CJ. You should enjoy the fact that this particular car was originally sold at Highland Ford Sales Limited in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I have enjoyed your restoration threads thus far. Very low production- what were there, 24 J Code convertibles made in total?

It's a shame that the HP numbers drop significantly after 7500 RPM's. This is probably due to the parts flying out of the engine block. ;) Yes I can also attest to the low RPM torque of this engine. I usually troll around in the 3000 to 3500 RPM range prior to shifting, while watching out for people texting and driving, and you can feel the massive grunt of the engine. I have a '71 Mach 1 Sportsroof 429-4V CJ Ram Air with Close Ratio four speed Top Loader, 1 of 556 from the Marti report. That number includes CJ and SCJ, but I believe it's 230 if only counting the CJ. You should enjoy the fact that this particular car was originally sold at Highland Ford Sales Limited in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I have enjoyed your restoration threads thus far. Very low production- what were there, 24 J Code convertibles made in total?
Been to the Soo many times... hard to believe a car like yours was sold up there back in the day. The winters can be brutal... Bias ply tires! Lots of fun... I believe the total J Code verts were 42 including scj's, 4 spds etc. 4 were painted in Pastel Blue. Yeah, 7500 rpm's is definitely pushing the envelope with these big block engines on a regular basis. I have found with my other J Code Mach, that 6000 rpm is a very streetable upper limit to utilize the power band of this engine.

It would be interesting to see how well the computer simulation programs correlate to actual dyno results. I'm sure it's been done...just haven't looked for the info.

Ive Heard something about 5-15 % over thru HP and Torque Power. Ive done a simulation on my rebuilt 351c and it says around 400 hp in the desktop dyno software.

i also ran a sim, i use desktop dyno 2003. it is putting my current soon to be completed engine at 470hp at 6500 rpm and 446tq at 4500 rpm. this should actually be pretty darn close since i inputed ALL of the engine, intake and cam specs to the T

351v 4v.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pastel, Why are you opposed to running an engine on a Dyno before it is installed in the car? I've found it to be helpful. It allows proper engine break in in a very controlled environment and allows you to figure out optimal max advance and jetting, find any fluid leaks, and reveal and faulty machining, assembly, or parts before it is installed in the car. The only down side I see is the expense, which I believe is offset by greatly reducing the probability of needing to pull the engine a second time. Just curious. Chuck

Pastel, Why are you opposed to running an engine on a Dyno before it is installed in the car? I've found it to be helpful. It allows proper engine break in in a very controlled environment and allows you to figure out optimal max advance and jetting, find any fluid leaks, and reveal and faulty machining, assembly, or parts before it is installed in the car. The only down side I see is the expense, which I believe is offset by greatly reducing the probability of needing to pull the engine a second time. Just curious. Chuck
+1 I agree. ::thumb::

Back