Center Console Map Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
I received the Prototype Map light from Paul (Rocket366) this week. I will start off by saying that the workmanship and quality is excellent. I installed the light last night. Fairly simple install. The light has a three position switch (off, on, on). I thought about how to wire the 3rd position for a while and a couple ideas came to mind.

1. I could have it come on when the doors open.

2. I could have it come on when the headlights are turned on.

I chose #2 for a couple of reasons. I do not really need the extra light when the doors open as I have a larger than stock dome light. I think it is out of an old bronco (has the main dome and two switched lights). The other reason for choosing #2 was ease of wiring. My console clock is missing and cost to replace it seems crazy to me. So I had the clock pigtail right there under the dash with a constant power, Headlight switched power, and ground all in a nice flat 3 plug. No cutting into wires!!!! I grabbed an old trailer pigtail off the shelf and snapped off the 4th prong and cut the wire flush to get it out of the way. Fished the wires up the dash and made the connections to the light and plugged it in down below, Works great. Mounted it in, fit like a glove and the holes were in the perfect position. Here are some pics. The last pic is taken from my view when driving. I wanted to see if it was going to shine in my eyes if it were on when driving at night. No glare. Thanks Paul!

Here is a link to Paul's original thread on this.....

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-center-console-map-light-clone-with-led?highlight=map+light

MPL1.jpg

MPL2.jpg

MPL3.jpg

MPL4.jpg

MPL5.jpg

MPL6.jpg

MPL7.jpg

When will these be in production? Any scheduled pricing?

It seems like an LED version with AA batteries would be a great alternative as it would have a super easy installation and long enough life that changing batteries would be something most of us would do on an annual basis.

That being said

It looks great-well done

I have enough parts and material to make a few, if anyone is interested PM me.

The price is $79 Delivered in USA.

I will make your map light as I find the time and send you photos before you pay via Paypal.

I will accept returns if you don't like it for whatever reason. ( buyer pays return shipping)

Each one is numbered the prototype Jason has is 001.

I was hoping the interest would be high enough for me to justify buying a 3D Printer to make them...we'll see.

Regards

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

I will make your map light as I find the time and send you photos before you pay via Paypal.

I will accept returns if you don't like it for whatever reason. ( buyer pays return shipping)

I was hoping the interest would be high enough for me to justify buying a 3D Printer to make them...we'll see.

Regards

Paul
I would like to buy a map light if you are still selling them. Haven't seen any on ebay. Give me some info if still have any in made.

Regards

Paul
I would like to buy a map light if you are still selling them. Haven't seen any on ebay. Give me some info if still have any in made.
+1 i am interested as well.

Back