Scissor Lifts??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
After my recent battle with a hydrolock condition I am looking at scissor lifts. With my size and bad knees it is very painful and difficult to get under this car as well as my daily driver cars. The post lifts are not an option.

Who has a home garage scissor lift

What brand?

Cost?

Wade

After my recent battle with a hydrolock condition I am looking at scissor lifts. With my size and bad knees it is very painful and difficult to get under this car as well as my daily driver cars. The post lifts are not an option.

Who has a home garage scissor lift

What brand?

Cost?

Wade
I purchased a Babco unit after researching many... Nice solid, well built unit. Should be around $1800-2200 US dollars... last I checked..

Last edited:
Are you happy with it?

Supports get in the way?
Love it for my purposes... you can get under the car at that back and front no problem.

Last edited:
I have an ancient scissors lift that I bought used 23 years ago, brand unknown. It continues to be useful for many things, brakes, suspension, differential, and body work done from seated position. It is certainly a step up from a floor jack and jack stands. Chuck

While it does not allow for working on brakes or suspension this works great for working under the car and feeling safe. IE Trans etc. And it is cheap. about $25 in scrap pieces of lumber (2x12's) from the local Menards. I just don't trust jack stands.

IMG_1482.JPG

This company has about any lift type and brand you can name. http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/2-post-portable-car-lift-system-dannmar-maxjax-p/dannmarmaxjax.htm

I know you said post lift was out they do have some good prices on portable post lifts. Their service has been great on what I have bought from them.

They have the scissor lifts but they get in the way of lots of things that the two post does not.
The Babco unit is heads and tails above this scissor unit... yes they get the way, we know that going in. The disclaimer in the original post and my comments confirmed that we do not have the option for a two or four post, so...

Last edited:
This company has about any lift type and brand you can name. http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/2-post-portable-car-lift-system-dannmar-maxjax-p/dannmarmaxjax.htm

I know you said post lift was out they do have some good prices on portable post lifts. Their service has been great on what I have bought from them.

They have the scissor lifts but they get in the way of lots of things that the two post does not.
Does anyone know if this unit would require additional footings? My garage floor was poured 6" with actual rebar and not "fence panel" but no provisions were specifically made for a lift. I did not see any information on their site regarding this either way.

Does anyone know if this unit would require additional footings? My garage floor was poured 6" with actual rebar and not "fence panel" but no provisions were specifically made for a lift. I did not see any information on their site regarding this either way.
I hit the "Download Manual" button on the web site and read this:

3. The floor on which the lift is to be installed must be 4” inch minimum thickness concrete, with a minimum compressive strength of 3000 psi. (Reinforced steel bar optional).

I'm not a construction guy but it sounds promising for your application. I'm intrigued now as well.

Now I just need to convince the wife.
I put one of the Dannmar 2 post lifts, 10ACX (D10-A in my new garage. It has three year warranty. When we poured the concrete I dug out a area where the columns would be and made it thicker and threw in some rebar for good measure. Concrete is a strange thing. If you have a 4" slab and want to double the strength you only add one more inch, sounds crazy but the is what they told me.

When you are looking at a lift make sure it is certified by ANSI American National Standards and ALI Automotive Lift Institute. Some are not and you can watch some horror stories on the net where they test them and they fail with their rated loads and no safety.

The most difficult thing was drilling the bolt holes in the concrete. I went to Harbor Freight and got a cheap drill for concrete and burnt it out on the first hole. So I went to rental store and rented good one for about $40 along with the bit for the 3/4" bolts. It would drill the holes 6" deep in like 30 seconds so was finished in just a few minutes.

I stood the columns up by myself with the help of engine hoist and nylon strap. My builder that put the steel building up has a Bendpack and he said the Dannmar looked to be made much better especially the pulley system for the cables. His pulleys failed first year he had his. The Dannmar has steel pulleys with bearings. I am still waiting for the power company to come run the underground power cable to the garage so I can start using it.

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

Now I just need to convince the wife.
I put one of the Dannmar 2 post lifts, 10ACX (D10-A in my new garage. It has three year warranty. When we poured the concrete I dug out a area where the columns would be and made it thicker and threw in some rebar for good measure. Concrete is a strange thing. If you have a 4" slab and want to double the strength you only add one more inch, sounds crazy but the is what they told me.

When you are looking at a lift make sure it is certified by ANSI American National Standards and ALI Automotive Lift Institute. Some are not and you can watch some horror stories on the net where they test them and they fail with their rated loads and no safety.

The most difficult thing was drilling the bolt holes in the concrete. I went to Harbor Freight and got a cheap drill for concrete and burnt it out on the first hole. So I went to rental store and rented good one for about $40 along with the bit for the 3/4" bolts. It would drill the holes 6" deep in like 30 seconds so was finished in just a few minutes.

I stood the columns up by myself with the help of engine hoist and nylon strap. My builder that put the steel building up has a Bendpack and he said the Dannmar looked to be made much better especially the pulley system for the cables. His pulleys failed first year he had his. The Dannmar has steel pulleys with bearings. I am still waiting for the power company to come run the underground power cable to the garage so I can start using it.
Wow, David! That is really coming along and looking great. I've been spending a lot of time finishing out the interior of my shop, too. I'm still debating on exactly where to put my lift, but I have a little bit of time before I have to decide, as I am waiting until I get the steel liner panels installed before I make that purchase.

Ron

Back