What are the cables under the seats for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Hy guys,

I stumbled over "electronic seat release" in another thread, so I wanna ask a question.

My Mustang has cables and connectors under the seats (Seats have ´em too). Is that for the above? If yes, what is that "electronic seat release" supposed to do?

If not, what else could those cables be there for?

Thanx,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thats for the elek. Seat release. There are big magnetic valves in the bag of the seals. These valves open the release when you open a door. The other conections are for the Seat belt warnig lamp / busser. In the upper upholstery are seat sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the electric seat release is not a common option, but there are wires for the seat belt sensor in the seat. Here are a few pictures that might help tell you what you have as my car does not have the electric seat release.

2005_0430064.jpg

2005_0430059.jpg

2005_0430055.jpg

2005_0430050.jpg

Thanx David and Mike

Mine looks a lot like the wires in Mikes pics.

Thanx for the info on what the thing does. I could never figure out what it could be.

If it is a seat back release, there should be something on the latch to release it. So if there is nothing, it is only for the seat sensors, right?

I need to check that, as it is possible that mine would have it, because it came with many options.

If you have one wire [ usually purple ]to each seat it is for the set belt sensor.

Sensore is in the middle of the seat on bottom.

Auto seat back release syastem had two wires to each seat, one was a ground wire screwed to the seat platorm, other was a heavy guage [ I think orange ] wire

Plus each seat would have a wire that runs up the side of the seat to the upper section.

Don

You know.. i have this wires in a box still.. i did not know how or where to connect them (i think some is missing too) but some day i´ll ask for your help in this matter guys!

Hmm I vaguely recall that I had more wires than that. Last year when I changed my carpet I was sure I had a couple of wires and it looked like a white plastic connector that was dangling from the seat ....Now I'm going to have to take a look one day again.

Auto seat back release syastem had two wires to each seat, one was a ground wire screwed to the seat platorm, other was a heavy guage [ I think orange ] wire

Plus each seat would have a wire that runs up the side of the seat to the upper section.

Don
Thanx Don.

I gotta check that when I get home tonight. I think I saw wires going from the bottom of the seat to the seat back, where the hinges are......

It´s not like I needed it, but if my car has the latch release, then I want it to work again.

Back