TCI street fighter AOD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrew2

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible
Anybody have any experience with TCI Trans. Working on trying to move forward with my FMX/AOD swap and have had no luck finding a trans locally. Summit has one for $1275. From reading description afraid it may be a little to harsh for my needs - says rated for 725 or 825HP I think, can't remember exactly. Also looked at MonsterTrans full conversion kit for around $2K but doesn't include yoke or flexplate. Rated at 600hp. Much more than I need for a daily driver.

I have a TCI AOD in my 69 vert behind a DFI 302 ci custom build. It shifts nice and easy under normal load, but winds up to 4500 - 4800 under full WOT. It has a 1800 - 2000 Street Fighter lock up torque converter. Highly recommended is the constant pressure AOD valve body which eliminates the problem of burning out the AOD when pressure is set too low. The cable setting is for the shift points. One aspect I never expected is it will downshift smoothly at the shift points which was nice when I had it on the track at Watkins Glen a few years ago.

I've had it for 8 years and have good experience to date. Cost was about $1,800 for everything brand new (AOD and TC) from TCI.

You could get a 4r70w locally at Barry's and have Trans Magicians rebuild it.

A 4r70w has taller 1st gear than an AOD. Nothing wrong with an AOD but since you are starting from scratch why not get the better ratio.

Latest posts

Back