Mustang roof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnyman30

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1
1966 Mustang Coupe
1968 Imapala Sedan
1985 GMC Seirra
1996 Honda Civic
2006 Katana
2003 Chevy Tahoe
2011 Toyota Camary
Quick questions and thanks in advance for any guidance or replies saying dont worry that is normal. The question is about the roof on my 72 Mach. It seems to me to be a little flimsy. I can lightly press on it and gives, kind of like when you sit on an old hood and it gives followed by the popping sound when the sheet metal retracts back to orginal form. Their is no rust present and no structural damage to this car. All original never been wrecked. Is this normal and is there a way I can make this better. Again thanks for all comments and guidance.

hey Sonny!!... Well... i know what you mean and even if i´m not an expert on any subjet I can tell you my experience...

My sportsroof roof is in fact, a little flimsy too... As you say, if you press it in some spots you can easily pop it up and down like if it was loose brom the structural brackets or something...

I too was a little worried when i realise that because i couldn´t even sand it comfortable, it kept moving as y pressed it... Well.. in my case, i did some structural investigation and noticed the roof was perfect from every angle... My car also has never been involved in any accident, no rust there either and the roof skin was perfectly attached to its structure.. I realice that if there is a problem there, is a factory one... The skin has no structural support from the middle (where the dome light goes) to the rear end of the roof... It is to long for such a plain skin and yes... for common sence, it should move a little...

I did nothing... Just treated it with care and it come out ok just fine...

I had a similar experience in another mustang i owned in the past.. a very mistreated car... when i restored it i add it another structural bracket to make the roof harder and later, the bondo i had to use in the roof/rear panel joint kept cracking... I didn´t know what was the problem but maybe, the roof is not supposed to be that hard.. dont know...

Well... hope it helps!

Thank you. I feel so much better now. I was thinking about adding more support but I will just make sure no one touches or sit anything on my roof. Thansk again.

Quick questions and thanks in advance for any guidance or replies saying dont worry that is normal. The question is about the roof on my 72 Mach. It seems to me to be a little flimsy. I can lightly press on it and gives, kind of like when you sit on an old hood and it gives followed by the popping sound when the sheet metal retracts back to orginal form. Their is no rust present and no structural damage to this car. All original never been wrecked. Is this normal and is there a way I can make this better. Again thanks for all comments and guidance.
I'm going this route...

check out link

http://www.jefflilly.com/current-projects/71-stang/pages/roof-support.html

Sounds like a winner!!!

Back