Custom grille 73

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys :-)

I used the Speedhut gauges, you can customize them. Change fonts, style, color etc.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/

The lambda is from Innovate, and the vacuum gauge is from glowshift. Later maybe Il change the glowshift to a speedhut.

Regards Rob

For knowing your limit you have to pass it ::thumb::

Thanks

The chrome trim, is getting painted. First I thought sanding down and filling the holes. But then I changed my mind to painting the trim. So its still on but painted. Next step is to find some blinkers and parking lights that will look good together. First I thought of using the the original blinkers, and just flip the 90 degrees. But I Think they are too big. The problem is that in Sweden the have to be Aproved, so I just cant put any kind of blinkers/parking lights. I Think Im going some Golf blinkers. Il be back with some pics later :-)

What about blacking out the housings, and installing the originals back into roughly the same location... just behind the new grille?

Or, do they have to be visible even when 'off?'

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Nice work on the gauges. Normally not a fan of updating classic cars with modern components, but yours are so well done that it looks like Ford did it.

+1 Great job on all your gauges and related lighting. They look excellent. I am more of a purist but for a custom look - nice job for sure. ::thumb::

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

They have to be visible, its regulations. Maybe some round blinkers.. I really dont know yet. Maybe Il try some photoshoping to see how it could look like.

Regards Rob

What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.aspx?page=article&artno=D1ZZ-13201-A

Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72? Sorry for the large picture...

1972-ford-mustang-mach-1-red-front.jpg

Waiting for spring and summer...

Hey Rob,

Any chance of using some of the headlights that have the signals built into them?

Something like this:

headlights.jpg

There are lots of different versions and styles, with the LED bars and whatnot.

What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72?

I think he's trying to get away from a factory-style grille altogether, otherwise he could've just bought a '71-'72 grille & sportlamps and been done. ;) :whistling:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.aspx?page=article&artno=D1ZZ-13201-A

Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72? Sorry for the large picture...

Yes I was thinking of them, but the 73 bumper is thicker, I Think. So there has to be some cutting involved. Il do a mock up later today to see how it could look.

Regards Rob

Hey Rob,

Any chance of using some of the headlights that have the signals built into them?

Something like this:

headlights.jpg

There are lots of different versions and styles, with the LED bars and whatnot.

What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72?

I think he's trying to get away from a factory-style grille altogether, otherwise he could've just bought a '71-'72 grille & sportlamps and been done. ;) :whistling:

The 71-72 may be an option, but the lights with the intergrated blinkers will not clear regulations, if they not are factory standard. Has to be 18 cm between lights and blinkers.

regards Rob

If the 71-72 lights will fit in here it would be nice. But it seems that the 73 bumper has Another shape ?

1.thumb.jpg.5350b82fc2419039f5be7bb639490b1f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.2f4aa50420d3fbc74f59bb38f3aaf84f.jpg

I have also to consider Parking lights, if the car was factory with parking lights it should have them.

How are the 71-72 turn light mounted ? bracket ?

Yes I was thinking of them, but the 73 bumper is thicker, I Think. So there has to be some cutting involved. Il do a mock up later today to see how it could look.

Regards Rob

I'm sorry, thomas1984 - I misread your comment and was thinking of the '71-'72 sportlamps... not the signal lights in the lower valance.

Hey Rob,

How about a set of Audi/Benz style LED DRL/Signals? Might take a bit of rewiring, but this being so low-profile, it might fit in the '73 valance opening. You might also be able to get them through a source in Europe as well. Just a thought.

Day-turn-48.JPG

Sorry I keep throwing stuff out there that probably won't work - let me know and I'll stop. ;) :D

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Regards Rob

I'm sorry, thomas1984 - I misread your comment and was thinking of the '71-'72 sportlamps... not the signal lights in the lower valance.

Hey Rob,

How about a set of Audi/Benz style LED DRL/Signals? Might take a bit of rewiring, but this being so low-profile, it might fit in the '73 valance opening. You might also be able to get them through a source in Europe as well. Just a thought.

Day-turn-48.JPG

Sorry I keep throwing stuff out there that probably won't work - let me know and I'll stop. ;) :D

No problems throw out how much you want :-)

They could fit, but Im Think Im going with the original 71-72 parking lights. I must create some kind of hosing for them maybe.

I wish we were closer, I have a damaged front valance I'd be happy to harvest the light housings from to help you out.

Hopefully, there are some local Mustang-friendly folks that might know where there are some old front valances to be had. ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

You might take a look at the Opel Manta A (slim bumper euro cars) front turn signal/marker light. It is slim in height and has it's own bracket. I think it had the dual filament turn signal and marker/running light in it. Probably 2/3rds the height of the Mustang unit.

No worries Eric, no offense taken! :D I could have described my suggestion to Rob in more detail as I now understand it could be interpret wrong.

Waiting for spring and summer...

You might take a look at the Opel Manta A (slim bumper euro cars) front turn signal/marker light. It is slim in height and has it's own bracket. I think it had the dual filament turn signal and marker/running light in it. Probably 2/3rds the height of the Mustang unit.

Thanks any particular year ?

/R

Well, in the US it was 70-73, but in Europe it was 70-74. We got a heavy bumper with simple rectangular lights built into it for 74-75. Our 75 was a carry over 74, Europe got the Manta B in 74 for the 75 model year.

You might have a look at the Manta B as well, I just have no experience with them.

The nice thing is the lens/housing shape and the bracket are of a 70's design, so it won't look out of place.

You can also get clear lenses instead of amber thru the Opel parts suppliers.

There is a place called Susselbeek (pretty sure about the spelling) that supplies vintage Opel stuff.