Install Center Console

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
We are finishing the interior and ready to install the full floor console even though the car never came with one. This will involve drilling holes in the tranny hump. The problem being how to align the holes in the floor with the holes in the console. The underlayment has been glued down and we are ready to glue the carpet. You can't simply place the console on the floor and drill the holes through the carpet and underlayment. That would make a big mess.

mike

If your car has the console holes and you replaced the carpet,you can push small finish nails up thru the floor and carpet.

If you have to drill thru the carpet, drill in reverse or you will catch the carpet threads and start pulling it apart.

Don

That's great info Don, as usual.

If your car has the console holes and you replaced the carpet,you can push small finish nails up thru the floor and carpet.

If you have to drill thru the carpet, drill in reverse or you will catch the carpet threads and start pulling it apart.

Don
Great idea to drill in reverse, never would have thought of that. I do know you can't drill through carpet, big mess. The floor pan has no holes so drill we must. I was going to use a cork trephine and punch a hole through the carpet and underlayment once the console is lined up.

mike

Don
Great idea to drill in reverse, never would have thought of that. I do know you can't drill through carpet, big mess. The floor pan has no holes so drill we must. I was going to use a cork trephine and punch a hole through the carpet and underlayment once the console is lined up.

mike
I have read somewhere to use a hot soldering iron to poke through the carpet and existing floor pan hole. Feel for the floor pan hole on top of the carpet and poke the soldering iron through the carpet and hole. It is supposed to leave a nice clean hole in the carpet. My friend tried it on his 1977 F150 and said it worked well.

Don

mike
I have read somewhere to use a hot soldering iron to poke through the carpet and existing floor pan hole. Feel for the floor pan hole on top of the carpet and poke the soldering iron through the carpet and hole. It is supposed to leave a nice clean hole in the carpet. My friend tried it on his 1977 F150 and said it worked well.
Haven't tried the iron but that sounds like a good idea

Don

mike
Haven't tried the iron but that sounds like a good idea

Don
One other thing, install the screws by hand and not using a power driver or drill. Do not over tighten either. I made that mistake and the mounting tabs cracked.

I solved the carpet dilemma... Mine is just sitting there loose! LOL
Bought this car 'cause I needed a set of wheels, then realized what I had. So we started a quasi restoration project which has now taken on a life of its own. We found the console on eBay not realizing the car never came with one, and we have a "smoke proof" clock. Install we must.

mike

Back