Oil Pan replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
My oil pan is pretty beat up and since I am pulling the motor to do some other work I thought it would be a good time to replace the stock pan. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Whatever one you decide on, don't get the cheap ones off ebay. I had 2 that I could not get to seal up, bolt holes in wrong locations, ect. I ended up just getting another stock pan for my motor. Moroso, Canton all offer nice larger capacity pans also if you want to go that route.

I saw some of the larger capacity pans. My concern with those is do I really need that and what does it do to ground clearance? Where did you find a decent stock pan? I see CJ has a re-pop one. Does anyone know what the quality and fit of it is? I could always try to hammer out the dents in mine I guess?

Last edited by a moderator:
While I would suggest an increased capacity "T" pan to insure the pickup is always covered, Milidon makes a good stock pan. The T pan increases capacity by adding volume laterally instead of vertically so ground clearance is unchanged. Chuck

I have a Milodon 8 qt oil pan in my 69 vert restomod. I found the gold coating they use ("Gold iridited") does not hold up very well. If you decide to go that route and appearance is important, it may be worth having it powder-coated or repainted with epoxy based product on the exterior. Other than that, the fit to the block is good.

I am using a Moroso T pan with matching pickup. The pan itself is flush with the undercarriage and the clear zinc finish looks great.

I'v used them all and many mentioned in this thread are good, but if you want better than good I wouldn't use anyone other than:

http://www.kevko.net/ford.htm

Not very expensive and he can custom make them to your liking. Most of the guys on the Boss302 forum use Kevco.

Ordered from Kevko. Super nice guys to talk to on the phone. Plus they are not far from here so they can ship via Speedee and save me some money on shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back