FMX shifterticed problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBelv57

Reaction score
My Car
72' Mustang
Hello all, wondering if anyone encountered this before. On my 1972 Mustang 302 with FMX trans. I recently noticed difficulty shifting from Park into Reverse, It is like the shifter is locked but if I move the shifter handle slightly to the left and then shift, it goes into gear smoothly. I never had this problem before and the transmission runs great otherwise. The only thing I ever did to it was to install a Transgo shift kit about 10 years ago. I also have Blackjack headers which instructed me to remove the reverse lock rod (I don't know the correct name for this piece) because it interfered with the header on one side, According to those instructions you could modify the rod or replace it with one for a manual transmission but I never got around to replacing it. This was about twenty four years ago and I have learned a lot more since then but unfortunately can't find the original instructions. I hope this is not the cause of the hard shifting problem but I thought this info. might help to come to some type of conclusion. Thanks and awaiting your suggestions, Mario.

The lock out rod being removed would cause issues with your steering column / key switch before causing shifter issues.

Is the shifter handle sloppy side to side- the plastic bushings may be worn out.

They are cheap and fairly easy to replace

The lock out rod being removed would cause issues with your steering column / key switch before causing shifter issues.

Is the shifter handle sloppy side to side- the plastic bushings may be worn out.

They are cheap and fairly easy to replace
No. the side to side movement seems ok.

Also check the little cable in the shifter handle, if it doesn't pull the lock over the rooster notch thing, it can get sticky feeling. The park lockout is critical as stated earlier too. Took me a bit of time to get everything working as well.

Bingo!

I had a cable fail inside of the automatic shifter in my '82 Mustang. I didn't know how to fix such things back in '89, so I just kind of lived with it (used my finger to manually lift the gate pin - man, did that suck).

It sounds to me like your shifter needs some attention/maintenance.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll check those areas and get that rod back in. Mario.

Back