Routing of radiator overflow hose on '71 351C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Dear all,

this question is about the correct routing of the radiator overflow hose that is attached near the radiator cap. Currently, mine is just dangling down the side of the radiator and not affixed at all.

I went to my prefered source for pictures in such situations (the 71 429 CJ Mustang and Cougar Megasite), but no luck.

One previous thread shows an engine compartment picture (by 72HCODE) where the hose is routed into the LH fender. However, none of the other pictures I saw showed this routing.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-picture-of-72-engine-bay

So how did you route your overflow hose?

Thanks, Manfred

71 429 CJ Mustang and Cougar Megasite was where i found some photos showing the tube going through the fender aprons

i also found a reference in one of the assembly manuals showing this routing of the hose.

the apron had a hole already stamped in that spot the hose fit and so i routed it out the apron, before i had it going to an overflow bottle, and before that i had it just dangling but it made me nervous so better to just get it out of the engine bay i figured.

71 429 CJ Mustang and Cougar Megasite was where i found some photos showing the tube going through the fender aprons

i also found a reference in one of the assembly manuals showing this routing of the hose.

the apron had a hole already stamped in that spot the hose fit and so i routed it out the apron, before i had it going to an overflow bottle, and before that i had it just dangling but it made me nervous so better to just get it out of the engine bay i figured.
Hi 72HCODE,

thanks for your reply. Maybe I didnt dig deep enough on the Megasite and in my shop manual. Tomorrow I will have a look if my inner fender apron shows the same hole you found.

Regards, Manfred

Hi 72HCODE,

thanks for your reply. Maybe I didnt dig deep enough on the Megasite and in my shop manual. Tomorrow I will have a look if my inner fender apron shows the same hole you found.

Regards, Manfred
I think I found the photos you've mentioned, but it is a Cougar.

mitch8.jpg

mitch1.jpg

All other photos show it just dangling down (I guess)

- Manfred

Last edited by a moderator:
well the cougar and the mustang shared a lot of parts, at cars shows i've seen people route it either way on 71-73 mustangs. I don't know if its correct but personally i think i makes sense.

if a concourse guy knows i hope they chime it :)

the install of an over flow bottle is not a bad idea because when the coolant heats up it pours out of the over flow but when it cools it goes right back to the radiator. With out one the only thing replacing the coolant is air which can lead to air in the system.

I have a temporary over flow bottle made from a Gatorade bottle but want to get a small stainless steel fire extinguisher to make a nice one. Or mabe a beer can hahaha.

the only thing to watch out for when using the overflow bottle is the correct radiator cap.

there is a difference between the original rad cap with no overflow and the one used for a overflow bottle. the overflow cap allows the lower plunger to open and suck in coolant from the overflow bottle, the regular cap just seals to around 15 psi.

the only thing to watch out for when using the overflow bottle is the correct radiator cap.

there is a difference between the original rad cap with no overflow and the one used for a overflow bottle. the overflow cap allows the lower plunger to open and suck in coolant from the overflow bottle, the regular cap just seals to around 15 psi.
I didn't know about that but then again I don't have a stock rad anymore.

Back