Mach 1 Engine Not Turning Over

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icejawa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 M Code,2003 Mach Azure Blue
Hello,

I am relatively new to classic muscle cars because I am a 20 yr old. I recently bought a 1971 mach 1 with a 351 cleveland engine from New Mexico. I live in Ohio which has bad winters so I drained the gas from the tank and stored it in my garage. I just added 4 gallons of gas today and tried to start the car. The car cranked and turned over 2 times really strong but wouldn't start. Now I am having a problem where my mach's engine wont turn over at all.

I am thinking the battery is having problems due to the cold weather here, and the oil is probably so thick from the cold also. I checked to see if each plug was sparking and they are sparking blue which is good. The car has a new MSD distributor that has been confirmed to have been installed correctly. The starter and solenoid are working properly.

The mach has squeaky belts that are probably worn out, perhaps that could also be contributing to the problem...

I am going to recharge the battery when my friend brings over his charging set.

All help is welcomed and appreciated

Thanks

167jog9.jpg

If you checked for spark, were you able to get it to turn more than the initial 2 turns?

If it is not turning at all, it is probably a dead battery, bad ignition relay, bad ignition switch or a bad starter.

I would start by charging the battery and then try it. If it won't turn, then try to jump start it using the ignition relay. If that works, then something is wrong with the ignition switch or wiring from the switch to the relay. If that does not work, it is possibly the starter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

At first the engine would turn as long as I would let it, I would let it rest for a bit and I tried it again. After 3 tries it just stopped and I let it sit a while more and tried again, and it turned 2 times only so I left it alone. I am going to hope it is the battery, I will have to see when I recharge it

Also. I live in Iowa. So I understand the cold. The oil is not so cold the engine wouldn't start. Not to mention it isn't that cold out. Also you said you drained all the gas out? Then added 4 gallons to try to start it? When storing over the winter you should have filled the gas completely full with some stabilizer added. Having the tank full leaves less room for moisture to collect. If you drained all of the fuel including what was in the carb it isn't going to start right off until you get some fuel back in it. My guess is battery is dead and you don't have fuel to the carb. Also it isn't cold enough for it to cause battery issues. If it isn't holding a charge then you have a bad cell or a drain somewhere or you cranked long enough to kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To check if gas is going to the carb, remove the air cleaner and peer down the carburetor throat. Then push/pull on the throttle mechanism and see if you can a squirt of gas. If not, the cranking to date may not have been sufficient to get to the carb.

Remember, you have to press the accelerator when cranking the engine with carburetors; they act differently than today's EFI systems.

Next time you are ready to try to start it shoot a bit of starting fluid into the air cleaner. It doesn't take much, just a couple of seconds. Then try starting. If it runs for a second or so they you probably have a fuel issue. On my Mustang if it sits too long there isn't enough gas in the carbs to get it going. Cranking the engine doesn't produce enough pressure. So I give it a quick starter fluid hit and that gets the engine running just long enough to get the gas flowing.

My vote goes to: no fuel getting to the carb. Sometimes you have to crank a LOT to get fuel upthere again, I recently had that issue myself (needed to crank more than 10 times before there was fuel again, I had no idea....). Do you have a see through fuel filter installed so you can see if any fuel comes up?

Anyways, don't let it discourage you, you'll figure it out. Good luck :)

Vincent.

Amen Brother!

mustang7173

Next time you are ready to try to start it shoot a bit of starting fluid into the air cleaner. It doesn't take much, just a couple of seconds. Then try starting. If it runs for a second or so they you probably have a fuel issue. On my Mustang if it sits too long there isn't enough gas in the carbs to get it going. Cranking the engine doesn't produce enough pressure. So I give it a quick starter fluid hit and that gets the engine running just long enough to get the gas flowing.

Hi

There must be a way to keep fuel in the line close to the pump, and a filter full of gas.

Seems that in this case fuel is returning to the tank after many days in the garage, and line gets dry, and then fuel pump can not pump fuel to carb.

Perhaps a check valve is required?

or there is a lost of seal, then air enters the line and allows fuel flowing back?

may be somebody has experience to avoid this?

:huh:

James

My baby

IMG_6330.JPG

The mechanical fuel pumps have a couple of check valves in them, but it doesn't take much debris, such as rust particles, to hold them open slightly, allowing fuel to drain back over time. As they dry out they can become varnished, leading to more problems when trying to pump up fresh fuel. As Mike said, sometimes it requires a running engine to produce enough action to get the fuel pumping. I have an oil can, with a trigger type pump, that I fill with gas and then add some to the fuel bowls to get the engine started after it's sat for a while, or after I work on the carburetor. No reason to wear out the starter or the ring gear on the flywheel/flexplate.

Hello all, I bought a $30 charger at autozone for the battery. After 3 hours the battery went from 20% to %100 and I cranked it about 4 times, and it started. Yahooo! The idle was a bit rough and I put some seafoam in the gas tank and 1/3 a can down the carb, it idles nice and smooth now and I took it for a drive. My machypoo lives again

Machypooh Huh. Congrats on getting it going again. Keep in mind after a few times at 0% on the battery it will drastically reduce battery life. I'd consider a battery maintainer for your situation. Just a thought. It will pay off quickly.

Yes Tony, I was going to suggest that he pick up a Battery Tender Plus as they are quite inexpensive. Has worked out great in my situation with the '71 J code. When I am able to drive the car only a few days apart I don't needed it. But sometimes life gets in the way and it's a month or more between drives, and the Battery Tender works perfectly in those situations. I was just amazed that a 20 year old is interested in old US iron like this, and that car seemed like a great deal. Gives me hope for the future! Seems to me that many young guys think it's more hip to take Uber or Lyft and not even own a car, or have a driver's license for that matter. I had my license right at age 16 and pissed off my parents the very first night I borrowed the car. hehe

Back