Great Birthday Present

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok, so today is December 7th......

It's the day that my car was built in 1971.

I have been working on a project for a few weeks now and it just happened to be be done today, and it is actually for the Mustang.

So when I saw the date I thought what a great coincidence, so it's like a birthday present to my car. :)

We had a two car garage. That is by no means impressive as we're talking European style two car garage, so it's small for American standards.

Two weeks ago I hired someone to cut out the ceiling above one half of the garage to open up the space above:

IMG_7695.JPG

After that was done it looked like this: (Note my artsy custom made support beam for the part of the ceiling we left hanging over the work bench) :)

IMG_7737.JPG

And the, at the end of last week it finally came....... My four post lift!!!!

Assembling it all by myself:

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG

After lots of adjusting, wiring and inventing new expletives (like I always do when I tackle a slightly more demanding project) I was able to do the first test with a car on it.

Today, on my Mustang's "birthday" by pure happenstance. :)

Unfortunately my Mustang is at the winter quarters and the roads are wet and full of salt and grime, so I can't go fetch it but I hope I will be able to so in the next few days.

So the honor of testing the lift for the first time went to my VW Golf...... Sorry guys, no Mustang pics!

IMG_7768.JPG

And that my friends is how you turn a 2 car garage into a 3 car garage the cool way!

Now I only need to tidy up the place which is a PITA in itself as I am not talented when it comes to arrange things in a practical way.

IMG_7769.JPG

The lift itself is pretty cool as it is mobile. It operates on normal (for us) 220V and it can lift itself up with a wheel kit, so you can move it around freely. I could even push it outside if it wasn't for the fact that the posts are just 3 cm to high to fit under the garage door.

Both the lift itself and the ramps feature a very low profile so that even very low cars can get on it which was crucial for my Mustang as it scrapes the front spoiler on most lifts.

My version also has drip pans that cover the whole length to offer complete protection from oil drops or water leaks etc for the cars underneath it. Plus I got me a sliding jack that can move along the whole length of the lift to get the wheels up in he air so that I can work on the car.

Man, I feel so manly right now I think I'm gonna grow a third testicle!! :)

Here's the link to the product and a video of how it works.

http://www.twinbusch.de/product_info.php?products_id=82

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTjCLsO0NI

IMG_7751.JPG

Nice! Congrats! ::thumb::

(I'm so jealous... ) :whistling:

(... and now I'm trying to figure out if I can actually do something like that in my garage... ) :chin:

That is very nice, good job!

Watched the demonstration video and noticed the guy almost forgot to put the parking brakes on before he lifted it. He was almost out of the car before he went back in to set them (hint, hint).

Are you planning on getting a center-mounted sliding hydro-pneumatic jack so you can lift the car off the lift (for changing tires, working on brakes, etc.)? The lifts we have here have 2 (one for each end) which makes rotating tires a lot easier.

Are you planning on getting a center-mounted sliding hydro-pneumatic jack so you can lift the car off the lift (for changing tires, working on brakes, etc.)? The lifts we have here have 2 (one for each end) which makes rotating tires a lot easier.
It has a sliding center-mounted jack. It's manual as the hydro pneumatic one only works with the bigger 4000-something kilogram lift.

I only got one though. This is Europe, you don't wanna know what they cost!

Yup. Unfortunately I don't have a cool argent Mach1 with black accents to put on it. :)

I blew up your picture and it looks exactly the same except for the colors!

Saweeet!!::thumb::::thumb::

Very inspiring Mike!

I've been looking at a 4 poster too. Locally I'm looking at around AU$3000 (US$2200). A 2 poster is cheaper and allows work on the wheels but I cringe everytime I see a convertible on a 2 poster. I could do with another testicle myself so I might bite the bullet for xmas.

...Mickus

Very inspiring Mike!

I've been looking at a 4 poster too. Locally I'm looking at around AU$3000 (US$2200). A 2 poster is cheaper and allows work on the wheels but I cringe everytime I see a convertible on a 2 poster. I could do with another testicle myself so I might bite the bullet for xmas.

...Mickus
Mine was even more expensive. Remember: Europe!

A two poster is more practical and cheaper but I'm gonna park a car up there over the winter so it had to be one with four posts. The sliding jack allows me to lift the car and have the wheels up so that takes care of that.

Whenever we hoist my vert up on my friend's two poster the whole car sags and it's painful to watch.

I can't imagine letting it hang like that for a few months in a row.

Back