Reaching a Milestone

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
My harness refurbishment business just reached a major milestone: 500 underdash harnesses have been refurbished and sold to customers. When I started out in March, 2008, I thought that there might be sufficient need to make this a hobby business, defined by the IRS as having no consecutive years of making a profit. As of 2011, I had to register as a business, as the demand for these services was greater than I originally thought!

I started out thinking that the distribution of harnesses by production year would largely reflect two factors: how many Mustangs were built and the cost of reproduction harnesses. Mustang productions peaked in 65/66, declining all the way through 73. Reproduction harnesses start out at ~$500 for the earliest years, growing to ~$1000 for 1970. No reproductions are available for 71-73. I expected a reasonably flat distribution from 65through 70, with a bit higher demand for the later years. What actually happened was much different:

500.jpg

The biggest surprise is that 1969 dominates all other years, accounting for 26% of all of my work. The next highest year is 66, 67, and 70, each running about 13%. 1968 accounts for about 10%. I think this data is telling me that 1969 is by far the most popular year Mustang, and that the 71-73 demand is much lower than other years. We’ll see if this changes over the next few years.

Thanks for reading!

Hard to say. Back 1995 when I started restoring my 72 mach it took 3 cars to make one, so yes I still have a lot of left over parts and harnesses. By 2000 when I finally got it on the road, you didn't see many 71-73 running around here in the northeast yet. Today there are a few more, but still not as many as earlier yrs. that still seem to be increasing. Parts cars are getting harder to find and the ones I do find have already been strip of what we need the most. Time will tell...

Congrats on being a successful small businessman in modern America! The data was interesting as well. I do understand the popularity of the 1969 model. I've owned 3 in the past. Chuck

My harness refurbishment business just reached a major milestone: 500 underdash harnesses have been refurbished and sold to customers. When I started out in March, 2008, I thought that there might be sufficient need to make this a hobby business, defined by the IRS as having no consecutive years of making a profit. As of 2011, I had to register as a business, as the demand for these services was greater than I originally thought!

I started out thinking that the distribution of harnesses by production year would largely reflect two factors: how many Mustangs were built and the cost of reproduction harnesses. Mustang productions peaked in 65/66, declining all the way through 73. Reproduction harnesses start out at ~$500 for the earliest years, growing to ~$1000 for 1970. No reproductions are available for 71-73. I expected a reasonably flat distribution from 65through 70, with a bit higher demand for the later years. What actually happened was much different:

500.jpg

The biggest surprise is that 1969 dominates all other years, accounting for 26% of all of my work. The next highest year is 66, 67, and 70, each running about 13%. 1968 accounts for about 10%. I think this data is telling me that 1969 is by far the most popular year Mustang, and that the 71-73 demand is much lower than other years. We’ll see if this changes over the next few years.

Thanks for reading!
::congrats::

Randy, I am not surprised. Your patience with your "potential" clients has served you well. Great Job!

Eric

Congratulations, and good for you! There's nothing like being able to do something you really like and get paid for it - as you said, turning your hobby into a business and still enjoying it. ::thumb::

Congrats! Great data to see and here the explanation behind it. While the data shows how you are kept busy it doesn't necessarily show the appreciation of your customers in aiding them to get their project back on the road safe and sound. Thank you for that.

Congrats! Great data to see and here the explanation behind it. While the data shows how you are kept busy it doesn't necessarily show the appreciation of your customers in aiding them to get their project back on the road safe and sound. Thank you for that.
I enjoy helping folks out with stuff I know inside-out. I also enjoy the forensics of what happened to the wiring: shorts, past owner stupidity, and plain poor designs. Plus, it keeps me out in the garage away from She Who Must Be Obeyed.lollerz

Maybe the distribution over the years is changing. Of the last four orders, three of them are 71-3's! Keep up the good work, folks!

Back