No get up and go

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Putting a few miles on the new engine and it seems to lack the power I would expect from what I put in it. Been palying with the timing and not feeling much difference. Started at 8` BTDC and backed down to 4` where PO marked balancer. He had a mmmuch more agressive cam then I put in and wondering if I should start advancing timing to get more power. Also thinking of adding headers to beef output.

Alan L

Putting a few miles on the new engine and it seems to lack the power I would expect from what I put in it. Been palying with the timing and not feeling much difference. Started at 8` BTDC and backed down to 4` where PO marked balancer. He had a mmmuch more agressive cam then I put in and wondering if I should start advancing timing to get more power. Also thinking of adding headers to beef output.

Alan L
Sounds like the timing is way off.Where did you get your specs? Clevelands like lot's of timing.I have had some ,depending on head that liked 16 +.

Alan L
Sounds like the timing is way off.Where did you get your specs? Clevelands like lot's of timing.I have had some ,depending on head that liked 16 +.
+1::thumb::

Try 10 btdc. Are you running a vacuum advance or just mechanical?

Tell us more about the build.

Timing. Use a vacuum guage and set initial timing to highest vacuum. Drive it and see if it pings, if it does back the timing off a bit at a time until it no longer pings.

Also, what tranny and gears are you running? Someone mentioned it was a cleveland (maybe you have a build thread I haven't seen yet). What heads do you have 4v or 2v? Open or closed CC?

Back