'73 Barn Find...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a nice car! Very interesting to see for how much it will sell ! The photo's are perfect as well for my restoration project. At least I know now how certain parts used to look like....

Nice looking car, to bad the dealer puked on the seats though.
Besides the claimed low mileage (which I have no reason to doubt at this time based on my observations), the seats are the main draw to this car. Not my taste, but an awesome reflection of the early '70s styling and thinking. It is an awesome find and if I had the space would be added to my stable...

Blast from the past for sure! Just keep in mind it's 1973 and your in California. Those seats were what Cheech & Chong would have labeled "Far Out Man"! Other than the Dealer Installed seats, car looks to be an original straight car. Would be nice to capture some of those under hood shots for reference. Be interesting to see where the price goes on this one since it is a no reserve car.

Well .... is it just me :whistling:

Car flippers name is

JESUS LOVES YOU

but they have many negatives :chin:

Car looks nice - some things look too nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat car, and I'm 53 so the seats don't bother me too much. I think my parents had a couch like that when I was a kid. This is a time capsule survivor type of car, which I'm assuming means no repaints. Should the black on the rockers go up to the door sills? I want to say "no" but I'm not sure if this is a '73 thing. The whole dirty car in overloaded garage with old man "barn find" picture seems very staged, but who am I to say. It sat in the garage since '83 yet there are no leaks? I'm just a skeptic by nature with these sorts of things. Nice to see the 302-2V / 3 speed manual drivetrain still in place.

Impressive. I really want to believe this is all legit. Seats upholstery added as we all agree. I think the shifter ball is not original. It should be the plain black one. I have saved every pic. Great reference - especially like the hood blackout. Would love to see invoice and Marti report!

Ray

Impressive. I really want to believe this is all legit. Seats upholstery added as we all agree. I think the shifter ball is not original. It should be the plain black one. I have saved every pic. Great reference - especially like the hood blackout. Would love to see invoice and Marti report!

Ray
The blackout hood on this car is original... a tell tale sign the car has not been repainted. Having said this, my vert was repainted twice, but they never redid the original blackout = el cheapo paint job.

The tires look to be the original BF Goodrich F78's. This car is as pretty close to original, claimed 21k mile car as I have seen on the 'net... would be nice to see paperwork including anything from the dealer on the seat upholstery...

I noted that someone sprayed a greyish paint in the trunk dropp off areas, probably a little rust evident. He also admitted to spraying armoral throughout the engine bay... someone needs to get this car away from this guy before it is no longer original...

I asked my wife, she said no... oh well.

Neat car, and I'm 53 so the seats don't bother me too much. I think my parents had a couch like that when I was a kid. This is a time capsule survivor type of car, which I'm assuming means no repaints. Should the black on the rockers go up to the door sills? I want to say "no" but I'm not sure if this is a '73 thing. The whole dirty car in overloaded garage with old man "barn find" picture seems very staged, but who am I to say. It sat in the garage since '83 yet there are no leaks? I'm just a skeptic by nature with these sorts of things. Nice to see the 302-2V / 3 speed manual drivetrain still in place.
Yes, the black looks correct for the Decor option treatment. The pictures with the open doors show the correct location for the black out.

Yes, the black looks correct for the Decor option treatment. The pictures with the open doors show the correct location for the black out.
Not to beat a dead horse (pun intended, ha) but do you mean this is how a non-Mach 1 with the Decor option would look, with the black all the way up to the aluminum "Ford" door sill plates? On the Mach 1's I have seen, including my own (all repainted however), there is a strip of the body color between the blackout of the upper rocker panel and the aluminum door sill plates. Pastel mentioned the guy sprayed Armor All in the engine bay, and it looks like he hit the tires (no biggie) and the convertible top with it as well.

Did ford use both the corporate blue and the early ford blue? To me the engine and air cleaner look more like the early ford blue but the vapor canister looks like the corporate blue. I'm not suggesting anything was repainted.

Not to beat a dead horse (pun intended, ha) but do you mean this is how a non-Mach 1 with the Decor option would look, with the black all the way up to the aluminum "Ford" door sill plates? On the Mach 1's I have seen, including my own (all repainted however), there is a strip of the body color between the blackout of the upper rocker panel and the aluminum door sill plates. Pastel mentioned the guy sprayed Armor All in the engine bay, and it looks like he hit the tires (no biggie) and the convertible top with it as well.
Here are some pics before my restoration. I have owned this car since 74 and my girlfriend at the time bought it new and I helped her pick the car out at the dealership so I know it is the original paint.

Also are a couple of pics at the body shop. The painter went to great lengths to match the pattern for all the blackout parts.

The overspray was removed off the white.

71 the black out went straight across, leaving body color between the sill plate and black out.

There was a change in the paint up to the sill plate like pony's pics.

I think it changed sometime in late 71

There is good info on this on the 429 megasite

We were talking about this car on Facebook yesterday. I would not buy it for the one fact that he did put all that D$%@ Armorall on pretty much everything. If you have ever tried to paint anything that had it applied you know why. I also makes stuff look cloudy after repeated applications. I would not want it in the same shop as other cars I was working on.

I was an instructor at Blue Ridge Community College when a stupid kid brought a bottle of Armorall into the body shop there. He detailed his car before the instructor new he was doing it. The brand new down draft paint booth had to be about torn apart steam cleaned over and over and the filter bank tossed. Fish eyes everywhere on car that was in the booth when he did it.

Where that car was stored gets very little rain so that was good for the storage.

I have an original paint yellow 73 vert with Decor Group and the black in the door opening is correct like Ole Pony's pics. Mine has way more miles at 48,000 and was used to pile stuff on in the garage it was in.

I am predicting that you will see it relisted with the winning bidder being a joker of eBay. Remember the loaded all original 73 vert that sold on eBay that had never been washed and was stored in plastic bag only brought $30,000 a few months back or was it $40??.

We should start to see more and more of the originals in the barns coming out as the old guys like myself kick the bucket and family sells them off.

That is interesting info regarding the blackout going up to the door sill plate. I have been on the 429 Megasite quite often but must have forgotten about that detail. My '71 Mach 1 J code says on the Deluxe Marti Report that it was built on 04/07/71. The car was repainted in the 1990's by a PO and I have no way of knowing if the door sill blackout was recreated as it was originally. I have the strip of Grabber Green body color visible between the blackout and the door sill plate, which is what I'm used to seeing elsewhere.

Back