• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

need 351c head

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul of MO

Reaction score
My Car
71 M Code Convert - Barn find
73 H Code Convert - Field find
73 H code - Latest Project
Our project has hit a snag before it even gets started.

My dad marked one of the heads as fixable but the machine shop said no way. It is cracked and they wont touch it.

Is it possible to even find a single 351c closed chamber head or do I have to buy a set?

I have been looking though craigslist and can't find anything.

Can I mix heads from other years as long as they are both closed chamber?

Thanks to all for all the kind words about my dad.

Just '70 and '71s had closed chamber heads and should be interchangeable. The only ones that are different are the Boss heads, which came with adjustable rockers and had a casting number of D1ZE-B.

The 70s supposedly had chamber volume of 61.3-64.3cc and the 71s supposedly had chamber volume 64.6-67.6cc. The only way to know for sure is have the heads you want to use CCed. Chuck

http://www.alliedmotorparts.com

ck out this site. i got a pair for my 302. great pricing and super fast delivery. and they pay shipping to and from you. when i found the heads i called to make sure they had them and purchased on line using paypal.. i'd buy from them again..

they are in atl. ga and have there own machine shop there too.

I have an orphaned 4v cc head (D0AE-N)....looked for a single head on and off for a long time...found one on ebay last year and it turned out to have a crack over an intake port....

The head I have is machined for screw-in studs and has a nearly new set of cast iron guides installed. It's twin suffered when a cheapo PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) valve snapped and was shoved sideways into the intake port.

I'd either like to pair this one up or sell it.

Are you looking for a head with screw-in studs?

The 70s supposedly had chamber volume of 61.3-64.3cc and the 71s supposedly HAD chamber volume 64.6-67.6cc. The only way to know for sure is have the heads you want to use CCed. Chuck
There's a lot of conflicting information about the combustion chamber sizes. I have one book that says all closed chamber heads are 62.8cc (nominal and except Boss) on one page. The previous page says the '70s are 62.8cc and all '71s are 66.1. My '71 Ford shop manual says 64.6 to 67.6cc for the closed chamber heads.

However, Wolverine measured a set of DOAE-G heads, a few years ago, and came up with 68cc.

The '70 compression ratio is shown as 11.0:1, '71 as 10.7:1. The Boss uses pop-up pistons to get 11.7:1.

So, your recommendation of cc'ing the heads, if you can't get a set with the same casting numbers, is right on.

EDIT:

Even this technical data referred to by 351C.net

( http://351c.net/board/index.php?/forum/12-engine-identification-id-codes-cj-boss-r-302c-etc/ )

says that '70s and '71s have the same size, 62.8cc:

http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine3.html

If anyone besides Wolverine has cc'ed their 4V heads it would be great if you would share the results with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an orphaned 4v cc head (D0AE-N)....looked for a single head on and off for a long time...found one on ebay last year and it turned out to have a crack over an intake port....

The head I have is machined for screw-in studs and has a nearly new set of cast iron guides installed. It's twin suffered when a cheapo PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) valve snapped and was shoved sideways into the intake port.

I'd either like to pair this one up or sell it.

Are you looking for a head with screw-in studs?
I do not need screw in studs and would sell the good one I have for what ever you think is fair.

If anyone has a pair that they will let go just let me know.

The 70s supposedly had chamber volume of 61.3-64.3cc and the 71s supposedly HAD chamber volume 64.6-67.6cc. The only way to know for sure is have the heads you want to use CCed. Chuck
There's a lot of conflicting information about the combustion chamber sizes. I have one book that says all closed chamber heads are 62.8cc (nominal and except Boss) on one page. The previous page says the '70s are 62.8cc and all '71s are 66.1. My '71 Ford shop manual says 64.6 to 67.6cc for the closed chamber heads.

However, Wolverine measured a set of DOAE-G heads, a few years ago, and came up with 68cc.

The '70 compression ratio is shown as 11.0:1, '71 as 10.7:1. The Boss uses pop-up pistons to get 11.7:1.

So, your recommendation of cc'ing the heads, if you can't get a set with the same casting numbers, is right on.

EDIT:

Even this technical data referred to by 351C.net

( http://351c.net/board/index.php?/forum/12-engine-identification-id-codes-cj-boss-r-302c-etc/ )

says that '70s and '71s have the same size, 62.8cc:

http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine3.html

If anyone besides Wolverine has cc'ed their 4V heads it would be great if you would share the results with us.
Here is what my shop said about my CC heads:

Customer: Tracy

Cylinder Head: iron Ford 351C D1AE

Intake/ EXH valve size:stock 2.19/1.71 Chamber 64.0 CC

This is the head that was not cracked.

20gxk07.jpg

5mcp6b.jpg

This is the head that the machine shop said was cracked.

2vwfu47.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It could definitely be repaired, but costs would be the killer these days. Not just that but a lot of guys have never done this type of repair before and have no idea how to save them and worry about failure. Many years ago the shop I worked in and as an apprentice I was taught how to repair cracked heads. We got the job of doing Toyota H and 2H diesel heads for one of the biggest 4x4 suppliers in the country and guess who's job it was to repair them. We were commended on our workmanship and were the only shop they ever used that never had a failure and use to do the diesel head repairs for Toyota workshops. In the end the heads were getting worse and taking longer to repair, which was taking me away from the performance side of things of the shop, which is what I wanted to do, so we stopped doing them. They use to call all the time to see if we'd do them again.

D1AE GA heads do seem turn up singularly here and there, but would be easier to find a pair and being Christmas time would probably pick up a pair cheaply as people want money this time of year. All the best with it which ever way you decide to go

Here is what my shop said about my CC heads:

Customer: Tracy

Cylinder Head: iron Ford 351C D1AE

Intake/ EXH valve size:stock 2.19/1.71 Chamber 64.0 CC
Thanks, Trainey.

That one is kind of in the middle, even though it leans towards the lower (62.8) value. One publication I have apparently couldn't decide either and says that '70 and '71s have between 62 and 68 cc chambers. This results in a pretty wide swing in static compression ratios, about 0.7, or between 10.0:1 to 10.7:1.

Update:

We found a set for $300.00 1970 quench, came off a well running engine when he swapped to aluminum heads.

120nvnt.jpg

They look good to me - but of course the other ones did to......

- Paul

Good news and a great price. At least with heads that came from a running engine should give you a better insight to what condition they're in. As long as there's no water staining or wash out anywhere, then more often than not you've got a good thing there. Looks like they've had some dollars thrown at them previously as well. Good luck with the project.

Back