1973 Coupe Rear Seat Foam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

Sometime ago, I had some exhaust system work near where the back seat area is. Unfortunately, the welder set fire to jute material behind the rear seat and you can see for the photo what happened. When I disassembled the seat cover, I noticed these wires weaved into the burlap.

Lord knows where anyone is going to get this stuff from. Anyway, It looks like the foam for the rear seats, coupe , hardtop is not reproduced. Please let me know if I am wrong. Looks like I may have to procure one or get some foam like a few of the forum members did to rebuild theirs.

95qu05.jpg

1197xb4.jpg

1zfkm4z.jpg

2mq2bmu.jpg

sza9nl.jpg

mustang7173

All,

I checked Mustangs Unlimited limited latest catalog and website. They only have the burlap for the front seats. National Parts Depot the burlap front seat kit. They also have the padding kit, seat frame edge, Listing Rod set, rear seat, wait a minute, and they have the PAD set, rear seats. I do not see any reproduction of the seat foam!

judge, spot on baby!

Thanks,

mustang7173

All,

Upon looking into the rear seat for the coupes or hardtops, the wires in the back seat are to help keep the burlap for pushing into the springs, thus weakening the foam support. The green looking stuff is paper wrapped upholstery wire. The wires that connect to it , per the 1970 Charger Registry is 0.030. Looks like it is just a time consuming project to get it replaced.

34s5krq.jpg

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
when i rebuilt my interior i made my own burlap with wires.

i went to the hobby shop and bought piano wire in similar thickness, i precut the burlap into the rough shapes i needed based on what i had left of my originals. then i Z folded the burlap in the direction i needed held the Z fold and punched the wires through and then opened the fold of the burlap and adjusted the wires as needed to get the spacing right and match how the originals looked.

i repeated it for the front and rear seats and the hump in the center of the rear seat.

i matched the hog ring placement and the foam went on top with some contact spray glue.

it took a few hours but wasn't hard i still have left over burlap 11 years later. :D

the burlap with the wires primary reason for being there is preventing the foam from pushing through the spring wire when you sit on it.

the reproduction front seat foam (at least mine) had a fiberglass bottom that did the same thing,,, i put the burlap on first anyway so when you look under the front seats you see the burlap and not the foam(fiberglass piece)

When I did mine, I bought burlap and foam from a fabric store. They had foam in several thicknesses and densities. As I recall, the foam over the center hump is thinner, so I used one thickness on each side where you park your butt, then the thickness needed for the center hump on top of everything, with the three pieces glued together with spray glue.

Steve

Back