Any love for Hi-Riders?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just watched this film and reminded me of the good old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ8NyL5Niko

Those cars may have driven like a piece of $hit but they sure looked good!

hot_rod_mustang_1971_zpsmnuuw1qa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the whole movie, not sure why. 91 minutes of my life is gone forever, I'm hoping the numbness in my head goes away in the next few days. The cars did remind me of when I was in high school and what I drove, A 442 jacked up in the rear with air shocks.

I just have one question: Do you not have cable in the UK?

Looking good Eric!!

No cable here. Only watched for the cars. Zero plot of course!

Never get to see cars like that anymore. Last time must have been in the early 80s.

We need more hi riders!!

My Mach 1 was a bit of a high rider thanks to air shocks. As a 16 year old I had no idea about wheel size and offset and such. So I found a pair of crager rims in the local 'want ads' that were on a Tornio. Should work for a mustang right? They are both fords! The offset was so bad the tires rubbed. So I used the air shocks to jack the rear up. Made the back window even more useless. :)

Mine came to me with a set of blown air shocks (lines were cut/missing as well - never did find the filler valve... they must've pulled it to use for a different vehicle after they killed mine). I did reinstalled the Lakewood slapper bars, but I painted them black instead of yellow.

I haven't jacked mine up ridiculously high in the back or anything, but I did add a set of 1" extended rear shackles... just to bring it up a half inch or so... to eliminate the 'tail dragger' look. If my front springs ever fully settle (they're supposed to be 1" drop springs... I'm thinking 'not so much') then I'll have a bit of a raked look. But for now, it mostly looks fairly 'level.'

I like the look - but not so much overdone like in the movie. The black coupe you posted is awesome - and I believe might belong to one of our members, as well. ::thumb::

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I remember jacking up the rear of my 65 GTO using spacers in the rear coil springs and then also on my 66 Mustang I used the shackles to make room for the fat rear tires. We all did it. This movie seems to have been filmed in the 80s using cars form many era's and probably cost about the price of a few pizza's and a six pack to make. Still it's cool to see the old cars.

I don't care for the stock look of ours cars, with the front higher than the rear. I prefer the front down ass up look! :D my car has drop shackles in the rear. I haven't done anything to the stance since I've owned it. I like the stance, that's why I'm leery of replacing all the springs and coils. Don't want to lose the look I have. Just personal preference. I like the back up with fat tires. I have since installed wider tires on mine but here's a couple pics.

jkg3ns.jpg

el5rpe.jpg

2r77jfn.jpg

a40nt.jpg

Oh yes...air shocks were a big thing in the 1970's. While I was going to college I worked at Montgomery Wards in auto parts sales and service department. I sold a lot of air shocks back then...a lot of replacements of air shocks went on as well.

My Mach 1 was a bit of a high rider thanks to air shocks. As a 16 year old I had no idea about wheel size and offset and such. So I found a pair of crager rims in the local 'want ads' that were on a Tornio. Should work for a mustang right? They are both fords! The offset was so bad the tires rubbed. So I used the air shocks to jack the rear up. Made the back window even more useless. :)

Mate, the quality of that movie was so bad I wouldn't be able to see if that was a girl or a dude on that hood ;-)

I do like the girl and both Mustangs though. I wouldn't mind getting my Mustang painted like the bottom one, kinda.

When I was younger it was cool, air shocks pumped to the max! Not so much now. [/align]

20160613_213017.jpg

No Man - you see, I said that because the picture was upside-down and Australias in the Southern Hemisph... meh - nevermind. :whistling:

lollerz

Back