What intake with a 429/460?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I am planning my 460 build. I would like to use the Edelbrock Air Gap but not sure if it will fit under the factory Mach-1 hood. Any ideas?

I am planning my 460 build. I would like to use the Edelbrock Air Gap but not sure if it will fit under the factory Mach-1 hood. Any ideas?
I don't know for sure but I doubt that it would. My Performer RPM which is shorter barely fit with the deepest drop base I could find and a 2" air filter.

I don't know for sure but I doubt that it would. My Performer RPM which is shorter barely fit with the deepest drop base I could find and a 2" air filter.
Thanks what I was afraid of.. ok, thank you..

It sounds like somebody needs to do some carb pad height research...

I have a Weiand Stealth that can measure. I'd be curious how the Stealth, Air Gap and perhaps Blue Thunder's dual plane compare.

If my 460 ever makes it into my Mach I had resigned myself to needing to modify a spare air cleaner in order to run the ram air, but I didn't realize that the carb was that close to the hood!

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like somebody needs to do some carb pad height research...

I have a Weiand Stealth that can measure. I'd be curious how the Stealth, Air Gap and perhaps Blue Thunder's dual plane compare.

If my 460 ever makes it into my Mach I had resigned myself to needing to modify a spare air cleaner in order to run the ram air, but I didn't realize that the carb was that close to the hood!
I was thinking of using the Edelbrock Air Gap with a Spectre air cleaner.. but now I don't know. But you're saying the Stealth fits well?

No!

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse- I was just wondering how the height of the Stealth compares to the RPM and Air Gap. Or a stock SCJ intake for that matter.

No!

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse- I was just wondering how the height of the Stealth compares to the RPM and Air Gap. Or a stock SCJ intake for that matter.
Oh ok.. no problem. I was going to check. I just hate to go with a small block simply because an intake won't fit..

If you need a carb with a choke use a regular Performer or Torker II. Which one you use will be determined by the rest of the build details.

If you don't need clearance for a choke horn and you intend to rev it over 5500 rpm the Performer RPM is a good choice.

cazsper,

I put a 1970 429 (385 series same as a 460) that has the 521 stroker kit, in my 73 Mach 1 and im running the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake with a Holley 4150 carb, and a K&N drop base air cleaner that has a 3" height and my stock mach 1 hood clears just fine. But i do not have the air dam equipment that mounts to the underside of my hood either. Hope this helps.

11t8n6v.jpg

If you need a carb with a choke use a regular Performer or Torker II. Which one you use will be determined by the rest of the build details.

If you don't need clearance for a choke horn and you intend to rev it over 5500 rpm the Performer RPM is a good choice.
The RPM will fit with an air cleaner?

cazsper,

I put a 1970 429 (385 series same as a 460) that has the 521 stroker kit, in my 73 Mach 1 and im running the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake with a Holley 4150 carb, and a K&N drop base air cleaner that has a 3" height and my stock mach 1 hood clears just fine. But i do not have the air dam equipment that mounts to the underside of my hood either. Hope this helps.

11t8n6v.jpg
Lee-

Yes, that helps a lot. That is exactly what I was hoping for. ?

Back