Should I Paint the Rockers or Not?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am thinking about having the rockers painted black like most Mach 1 are...for some reason, mine wasn't painted when it was restored 20 some years ago. What do you guys think? Paint it or let it stay yellow as is?

im6zkk.jpg

I like them painted

336355822_1972mach1.jpg.04e5851562002874051732cfacd81da4.jpg

Larry

Tough call. I kinda like it the way it is, to be honest... but the hockey stripes do just kinda look like they're all alone and missing something.

It's gonna look cool either way - just don't lose the Cragars or slapper bars (I might be a little biased in that regard...). :whistling: ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

It looks good either way. :)

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

But the '69 Mach 1 had a black out hood without painted rockers, Scott.

And it looks fantastic.

Painting the rocker panels tends to give a slimmer appearance if that is something you would like.

I find your car refreshing without them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

or confuse everyone put on the chrome rocker moldings, chrome wheel wells. JUST KIDDING!

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I like the black rockers for a nice contrast.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

You could do it with a wrap then if you don't like it peel it off. I have a vert with Decor Group and black original paint and it looks bad down there and thinking of trying a wrap on it just to keep the original paint. I think they look better with black or argent.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Yes, I was actually thinking of using black vinyl. There is a shop in town that does vinyl wraps...if it isn't super expensive, maybe I'll give it a try and see how it looks. The main thing I think it would do is help hide the door gaps and stuff a little better than the bright yellow does!

spacer.png

I do like the black rockers. In my opinion it tends to visually lower the car and pull it together with the other black accents. I would try the vinyl wrap. It would also offer a small degree of protection from rock chips.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

I like the wrap idea. The black paint at the bottom was intended to give visual effect of lowering the car.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Oh man, I've been debating the same issue for my car for ages.

Blacked out rockers look cool but every striped Mach1 has them. Yours looks different and I like that.

Blacked out rockers mare the car look sleeker and longer but they may make it look higher. I know it did on mine when I photoshopped the rockers black, which is why so far I have not done it.

It's gonna look good either way and I guess it boils down to personal preference.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

You might consider using fine line tape and plastic dip. If you don't like it you can peel it off. Just a thought. Chuck

Yes - that's what I was thinking as well. Helluva lot cheaper than a wrap. ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Blacked out rockers is a design trick to a make car look lower.

My 87 Esprit Turbo came standard with blacked out rockers / splitter. Here's a pic of it.

I'd go the vinyl route too, keeps your options open.

Lotus_Esprit_4.jpg

Man, I love those cars. ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif