Build your own Rotisserie plans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe 302 Auto RHD
Those are really nice DIY prints. Would be fun to build one. When I do my car again I will definitely be using a rotisserie. I printed out the blue prints for this one, they are very well layed out. How hard do you think it would actually be to rotate the body on this rotisserie?? Maybe worth adding a motor to it down the road to help with rotation. Also adding a couple of grease zerks where the rotating assembly is. But overall really nice! I like it. Thanks for posting!!!

On a rotisserie that is designed correctly with left to right and up and down adjustment for balance you can turn the body with one finger. No need to add a motor or drive. I need to get mine into the garage and take some pictures. It has pretty big inflated tires with a fold up tow bar so you can take outside for blasting or pressure wash easily. I bought if from shop closing for $800. If you ever use a rotisserie you will not go back to just a lift or stands.

When painting it allows you to always have the best angle for your gun. When you are doing places like inside the trunk on top.

I printed those same plans off about a month ago. I plan to build one to work on the Cyclone with. I am planning a few modifications to lock in the height adjustment with a thru bolt as well as a plate and pin to lock in the rotation of the body versus the set bolt they have on the top. Just a couple of modifications I would feel more comfortable with from a safety perspective. I added up all of the material lengths needed and it is a fair amount of stock. I am thinking it may be close to $500 - $600 for materials. Just a guess at this point.

I would also modify the body mount fixtures to attach to the rear bumper mounting points and to the front bumper mounting points.

Last edited by a moderator:
I printed those same plans off about a month ago. I plan to build one to work on the Cyclone with. I am planning a few modifications to lock in the height adjustment with a thru bolt as well as a plate and pin to lock in the rotation of the body versus the set bolt they have on the top. Just a couple of modifications I would feel more comfortable with from a safety perspective. I added up all of the material lengths needed and it is a fair amount of stock. I am thinking it may be close to $500 - $600 for materials. Just a guess at this point.

I would also modify the body mount fixtures to attach to the rear bumper mounting points and to the front bumper mounting points.
Yes I would probably make some minor mods to better suit the Mustang including using pins. The beauty of this one is it can easily adjust to suit many different vehicles so would be easier to sell it once done and recoup the cost of making it which is probably $500+

On a rotisserie that is designed correctly with left to right and up and down adjustment for balance you can turn the body with one finger. No need to add a motor or drive. I need to get mine into the garage and take some pictures. It has pretty big inflated tires with a fold up tow bar so you can take outside for blasting or pressure wash easily. I bought if from shop closing for $800. If you ever use a rotisserie you will not go back to just a lift or stands.

When painting it allows you to always have the best angle for your gun. When you are doing places like inside the trunk on top.
Agree and no need to add a grease point but more likely a brake or just use a set screw to slow down the spin. I think the main thing is to have a snug fit in the pivot tubes i.e. buy the right thickness as if too big a clearance it will bind when turning

Might help those doing a full restoration to make a rotisserie, especially for extensive under body work. Will probably make one myself soon and post some pics with the 72 Coupe attached.

Go to this link - http://redwingsteelworksplans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Red-Wing-Steel-Works-Auto-Rotisserie-Plans-10242012.pdf

if anyone has another plan tailored to 7173s please post

Cheers Mick

I'm building a rotisserie with those plans. I have modified them a bit. I stepped the vertical upright because I came across some free 8" casters so I wanted to lower it down a bit.
c6241c29d028b5ac202a1f6685003f99.jpg

I also modified the front leg to be able to remove it to save space when I need to store it. I just used a piece of 3" square tube.

2e988a7add04bb9996f9bf7f005e8570.jpg

For the rotating assembly I also modified to mimic this setup.

79a3bff920a468269351e85fd3d86d26.jpg

I wasn't paying attention when I decided to use the bearings or I would have changed the up right to where the 3" was vertical and the moving piece was the 2.5" like in the pic. Instead I welded the bearing mounts to the 3" tube

b3f4a685d93bf93279a79abc51bfc293.jpg

I'm also using 8 casters instead of six so the outrigger one will have 2 on it. I will get some more pictures when I get farther along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back