Justin's 1973 Mach 1 "Q" Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrobinson

Reaction score
My Car
My 13 year old wants to build a 1971-73 Mach 1 Mustang for his first car. We have found a Grabber Blue with white interior base model 1971 Mach 1 to start on.
Well I picked up my 13 year old son's first car this past weekend. Yes, he wanted a 1971-73 Mach 1 Mustang for his first vehicle. We had just about settled on a 1971 Mach 1 302/3 speed manual with a 1971 fastback as a parts car. When a buddy of mine sent me some pictures of a 1973 Mach 1 "Q" code 2 hours closer and the same money. I finally got in touch with the owner and he told me it was sold. I was somewhat distraught over the missed opportunity. One day later the owner calls me and said the buyer backed out. That was a great call in itself but then he lowered the price by $500 bucks. Well here is the project that my son and I will be undertaking. Oh! I bought the car for $3500.

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

I ordered the Deluxe Marti Report today. I think the Ivy Glow paint and Avocado interior might be somewhat unique but we will see. Ivy Glow/C4 paint was new for 1973. I guess we will wait and see.

WELCOME AND ENJOY,WE ARE FAR APART BUT IF YOU NEED SOME THINGS PUT IT UP HERE WE ALL HAVE EXTRA,,,HAVE FUN MOST IMPORTANT..IF U ARE INTERSTED IN SOME THINGS FEEL FREE TO CALL ME 321 652 3767 I HAVE MANY PARTS ALSO A 71 MACH1 351 4V 4SPEED CAR FOR PARTS.IF INTERESTED USE THE PHONE ANYTIME'

Lately with both my 17 year old and 13 year old playing Jr. High and HS baseball time has been at a premium. We have managed to change out the battery cables and solenoid. Trying to get ready to drop a battery in it to check compression and possibly crank the beast.

Looks like a nice car to start with, good luck on the build, looking forward to the progress. Ryan

I am considering stroking the Cleveland to 408 CI with a Scat rotating assembly. I would like the engine to make more torque down low in the powerband. The compression will be around 9:1-9.3:1 depending on deck height and completed combustion chamber size. I think I found the cam kit too. It is a Comp Cam Magnum hydraulic roller with 224 duration and 566 lift. I am not settled on the induction yet whether we stay factory or go aftermarket.

I am considering stroking the Cleveland to 408 CI with a Scat rotating assembly. I would like the engine to make more torque down low in the powerband. The compression will be around 9:1-9.3:1 depending on deck height and completed combustion chamber size. I think I found the cam kit too. It is  a Comp Cam Magnum hydraulic roller with 224 duration and 566 lift. I am not settled on the induction yet whether we stay factory or go aftermarket.
I would stray away from the comp cams Hydraulic roller set up....... I have had nothing but trouble with my comp roller lifters in my 408.  3 collapsed so far.  Still fighting with them over it.  junk junk!

I am considering stroking the Cleveland to 408 CI with a Scat rotating assembly. I would like the engine to make more torque down low in the powerband. The compression will be around 9:1-9.3:1 depending on deck height and completed combustion chamber size. I think I found the cam kit too. It is  a Comp Cam Magnum hydraulic roller with 224 duration and 566 lift. I am not settled on the induction yet whether we stay factory or go aftermarket.
I would stray away from the comp cams Hydraulic roller set up....... I have had nothing but trouble with my comp roller lifters in my 408.  3 collapsed so far.  Still fighting with them over it.  junk junk!
Dang man that sucks! I have always liked Comp's stuff. I think the problem is everything now is Chinese junk.

Dang man that sucks! I have always liked Comp's stuff. I think the problem is everything now is Chinese junk.
Not everything but most!!

In my spare time I performed a compression check on the engine. Multiple cylinders with zero compression was not promising for a motor that was supposed to be rebuilt. I decided that I would tear it down to figure out the problem. I am pretty sure the problem is the heads. It looks like the motor has been rebuilt with new slugs in every hole. It looks as if the heads received no attention. I will completely tear the motor apart and rehone the cylinders, check line bore, lifter bore alignment, and bearing clearances.

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

The heads will get a complete rebuild with Ferrara valves, new valve train, bronze guides, and 3 angle valve. Thinking about some new pedestal roller rockers by Scorpion and chromoly push rods as well. It looks like the lifters are new. As soon as I finish pulling the balancer and front timing cover I will see about the timing chain and camshaft. So far it looks like someone actually used decent components on the build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow those heads are terrible looking. I don't think they ever fired it after they rebuilt the bottom end, if they rebuilt anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back