Justin's 1973 Mach 1 "Q" Code

The car loaded up and headed to the body shop to replace the quarter panel.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The car loaded up and headed to the body shop to replace the quarter panel.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

I have gathered engine components together for the 351 4V build. I have acquired a STD/STD 4MAB crankshaft, ARP rod bolts, Crane stud conversion kit, Comp roller rockers, Comp chromoly push rods, ARP head bolts, 2.08/1.65 Ferrea 5000 valves, and H series rod/main bearings.

IMG_0693.jpg

615.jpg

616.jpg

Not sure where you are in the Southeast. but I just removed a nice clean gas tank from my car to fit a fuel cell. I won't ship, I can't deliver, but if you are close to Nashville, I will give it away.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Not sure where you are in the Southeast. but I just removed a nice clean gas tank from my car to fit a fuel cell.  I won't ship, I can't deliver, but if you are close to Nashville, I will give it away.

Jeff73Mach1,

Dang dude I may have to take you up on that. Where are you in Nashville. I have family in Murfeesburo.

I'm in Madison, just north of town. From Murfreesboro, without traffic it's about 45 minutes. I can take a picture for you, but it is pretty nice. Only thing I don't like on it is the prior owner clearcoated the bottom side and there are runs in the clear coat that make it look like it is leaking. They can be removed with a good paint stripper, but I just pulled it 2 weeks ago for a fuel cell install. Send me a private message and I'll give you my number if you wish to discuss

BTW-good job on the kid, mine would have a hard time changing a light bulb without a you tube video

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

The trunk pan is removed and prepping to reinstall new metal.

IMG_0809.jpg

• 10 months later...

The body shop made some head way on the car recently. They removed and replaced the tail light panel, trunk pan, and passenger quarter panel.

022.jpg

023.jpg

027.jpg

021.jpg

028.jpg

I dropped off the motor to get the rotating assembly balanced, ARP bolts installed in OEM rods, surface the block, finish hone the block, vat and clean, install freeze plugs and cam bearings.

043.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

042.jpg

I installed the Comp Cams hydraulic roller and double roller timing set. The cam is a custom ground HR that specs: 275/281 advertised , 224/230 @ .050, 569/578 lift with 1.73 rockers, and lobe separation of 110. I have recently acquired a set of D0AE-N quench heads. The static compression should be around 9.7:1 after I unshroud the valves.

058.jpg[/url

How bad would it kill the power if I left the exhaust manifolds and married them to a Pypes mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust? I know it will make a lot more power with headers. I am planning an AOD install so it will be shorties or manifolds. I am thinking manifolds first and then later install some Sandersons.

One thing I could not see in your block. Is the brass baffle still under the thermostat? You need that in there and the correct Cleveland thermostat to keep temp correct.

Pic of one.

100-3513.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Headers fit just fine with an AOD.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

One thing I could not see in your block. Is the brass baffle still under the thermostat? You need that in there and the correct Cleveland thermostat to keep temp correct.

Pic of one.

100-3513.jpg

Yep, its there but thanks for the reminder.

Here are the D0AE-N quench heads we will install on the 357CI 4V Cleveland. Heads were originally set up for the Comp Cams hydraulic roller. All new springs, locks, and retainers. Dropping them off to be taken apart, check clearances, spring height unshroud the valves, valve job and reassemble. Hoping the unshrouding process will grow the combustion chamber by 5-7CC's. I figure the little Cleveland should achieve the 400-425hp goal fairly easy. My 15 year old is going to enjoy the streetable manners of the EFI and AOD.

IMG-0881.jpg

IMG-0882.jpg

Hemikiller,

The answer to factory valves is "NO". Nah, the installed valves in D0AE-N heads are stainless but I do not know what brand. If they need to be replaced I will use Ferrera 5000 series since it a true street driven vehicle. If I were building to race we would probably do something more exotic along with titanium retainers and bee hive springs. Thanks for your input. I always welcome reminders on a build.

• 9 months later...

Well finally got the D0AE-N quench heads back from the machine shop. They freshened them up, checked all critical areas and changed valve springs. I ordered an intake, and headers. I decided to go with the Performer RPM since I could not find anyone with an available Blue Thunder. I went with the Doug's D6714 with 1.750" primary tubes and 3" collector.

I received the push rods yesterday. So, this afternoon I will set the valves and install the intake.