Plastic Trim on lower edge of Windshield

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new thing for the 70's was the hidden windshield wipers. Since the wipers now parked under the hood on the lower part of the windshield, there was no longer a lower chrome windshield molding. The plastic strip was used to dress up and conceal the raw edge of the windshield and give everything a more "Finished" look. Ford didn't get to carried away and just called this a windshield strip. Same one was used on 70/full size Ford, 72/Torino, 71/ Mustang, 70/T-Birds and sister Mercury cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know the purpose of the plastic trim that's on the lower edge of the windshield?

Is it a cushion between the glass edge and the windshield wiper resting brackets?

Mine is brittle/shot.

I see NPD sells it..#03243-1a

Just curious

Mine is also shot. Thanks for the part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This strip has been discussed before. One issue is it falls off as in the picture. When you get a replacement, I suggest you use a product called "Goop" to hold it in place. I did this to mine and so far it's holding. Look for Automotive Goop which is black. Unfortunately these tubes do not come with an application nozzle, so it's a bit messy. Up side is it easily cleans off from areas where it is not wanted after it's dried. You'll need to clean the area with detergent or alcohol first.

I have used GOOP for years when I worked in prototyping. In this case, I found it far better than RTV for holding these strips on.

The new thing for the 70's was the hidden windshield wipers. Since the wipers now parked under the windshield, there was no longer a lower chrome windshield molding. The plastic strip was used to dress up and conceal the raw edge of the windshield and give everything a more "Finished" look. Ford didn't get to carried away and just called this a windshield strip. Same one was used on 70/full size Ford, 72/Torino, 71/ Mustang, 70/T-Birds and sister Mercury cars.
Being an early Mustang guy, (i've had 4), and current owner of 67 fstbk, this is my first 72 project. Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if I "have" to replace it...why it is there

The new thing for the 70's was the hidden windshield wipers. Since the wipers now parked under the windshield, there was no longer a lower chrome windshield molding. The plastic strip was used to dress up and conceal the raw edge of the windshield and give everything a more "Finished" look. Ford didn't get to carried away and just called this a windshield strip. Same one was used on 70/full size Ford, 72/Torino, 71/ Mustang, 70/T-Birds and sister Mercury cars.
Being an early Mustang guy, (i've had 4), and current owner of 67 fstbk, this is my first 72 project. Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if I "have" to replace it...why it is there
Probably nothing more that to make it look better and protect the edge from chipping. They're pretty cheap, just a pain in the a** to fit. I suggest a heat gun or hair dryer to warm it up as you install it. Also take off the wiper stops and if you can, the wiper arms as well. Just makes life easier I found.

Back