Unfamiliar metal data plate found

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
The 7173mustangs stangheads usually know all, so...

So I found this plate on my project 72 mach, behind the driver side headlight. It was screwed on with an incorrect screw.

I'm familiar with the door ID plates and all of the online decoder info for these. I have the window sticker, ect..

Seen the paper ones under the seat...

What is this plate referred to?

Is there a decoder for all of the info on it?

I've not seen one like this on the early Mustangs I have.

DSC04566.JPG

Your buck tag is still in nice shape, likely due to the fact that it was located directly behind the head light as you noted. My buck tag was still inone piece also but it was secured out in the open, surprising it was still there...

The correct location on a '71 generally, is beside the passenger side head light bucket just above the engine compartment wire harness ground cable connection on the rad support or behind the head light bucket. They are not riveted on, instead are held in place by a flat head phillips screw. They will last as long as no one bends them, a couple bends back and forth and all you will be left with is the small piece that surrounds the attachment screw. You see this scenario on many cars put there today... Look after your tag!

Last edited:
mine was located in the Drivers side behind the headlight, with a Philips head screw, and its was the original location and screw because it barely had any paint behind it, these were installed on the Buck before paint, in its raw metal stage.

I'll have to find the pictures of mine..

Andy72,

Found this info from http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/decoding.htm

1F91J531928 - Vehicle Identification Number

65D - Body Style Code: Cougar Hardtop

21M - Scheduled Build Date: December 21

225 - Assembly Line Sequence Number

backwards 6 - Inspector Number

M - Color: Wimbledon White

1D - Interior Trim: Dark Red Vinyl Bucket Seats

AC - Air Conditioning

PB - Power Disc Brakes (required w/429CJ)

DE - Dual Exhaust

Buck Tag Codes

CS - Competition Suspension

EC - Emissions Controls

BTRAC - Both Racing Mirrors

BO - Boss Option or Battery option 24F

FDS - Fold Down Seat

mustang7173

So I found this plate on my project 72 mach, behind the driver side headlight. It was screwed on with an incorrect screw.

I'm familiar with the door ID plates and all of the online decoder info for these. I have the window sticker, ect..

Last edited by a moderator:

From Kevin Marti's book, Mustang and Cougar Tag Book. I found the following, but it does not seem to list all that is on your tag. I'm surprised others did not refer you to this great info book.

Here's what I see;

2f = 1972 Dearborn plant. 05H= Mach 1 351C 2V engine. 19741 is the sequential number. 63R is body style, Fastback. scheduled build date 13 June (72) . not sure what 886 means. 3J = Bright Blue Metallic paint, AC = Air Conditioning, PB = power brakes, GB = Medium Blue knitted (seats) , AM = am radio, QM = quarter moldings, lower doors, CS = collapsible spear tire, EC= emissions controls, B TRAC, I couldn't find that reference, but I guess it is a trac-lock rear end.

Other important info will be on your door data plate (sticker on these cars)

If I were you, I'd get a Marti Report, then you'll get all the details of your car. A Deluxe Report, more expensive, but more info would be the at to go. Also, you can buy his book from any parts supplier, The mustang and Cougar Tag Book. Well worth a few bucks.

Hope this helps, was fun doing it.

Geoff.

Wow... thanks. Read this thread and started looking hard for the buck tag and found it behind the passenger headlight. I looked before, but I was looking around the radiator mount. I am so happy to find this piece. Now I need some help figuring out what all means. Sorry, I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I felt it was fitting to ask here.

Don's spreadsheet was very helpful in figuring out some of the details, but there are others missing.

My buck tag says, in this order:

250 10 03M 63R 5A

2 M1XXXXX 6 BR BL MT

M1 DE RM CT NH

In bold is what I don't know. I think the rest I figured out from Don's information and the door tag.

I am not sure about the BL. Don's information say it is for "Back Louvers/Sports Slats", but my car has none. However, it could have been removed over the years. Is there a way to tell if it ever had these louvers.

Wow... thanks. Read this thread and started looking hard for the buck tag and found it behind the passenger headlight. I looked before, but I was looking around the radiator mount. I am so happy to find this piece. Now I need some help figuring out what all means. Sorry, I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I felt it was fitting to ask here.

Don's spreadsheet was very helpful in figuring out some of the details, but there are others missing.

250 10 03M 63R 5A

2 M1XXXXX 6 BR BL MT

M1 DE RM CT NH

In bold is what I don't know. I think the rest I figured out from Don's information and the door tag.

I am not sure about the BL. Don's information say it is for "Back Louvers/Sports Slats", but my car has none. However, it could have been removed over the years. Is there a way to tell if it ever had these louvers.
Tony, you got a 71 M code? My tag was mostly gone, but was on the rad support on the passenger side. You say yours was behind the headlight? Was it a Dearborn car or Metuchen? Just wondering why it was not in the same place unless it's a later build in the year just before the Q codes came out. Are you sure the BL is not BE, medium vermilion cloth? Your tag looks nothing like mine (should be!!)

250 10 03M 63R 5A

2 M1XXXXX 6 BR BL MT

M1 DE RM CT NH

Tony, you got a 71 M code? My tag was mostly gone, but was on the rad support on the passenger side. You say yours was behind the headlight? Was it a Dearborn car or Metuchen? Just wondering why it was not in the same place unless it's a later build in the year just before the Q codes came out. Are you sure the BL is not BE, medium vermilion cloth? Your tag looks nothing like mine (should be!!)
Yes, I have an M code from Metuchen. I am curious in all the other details. Yes, it is BL for sure.

Mine was attached with a screw that also held the ground wire terminal. When I mean behind the headlight, it was towards the radiator so that's maybe part of what's considered the radiator support. It was really hidden and not that easy to see. It was high up where the headlight bucket meets the radiator support, if I understand the terminology correctly.

My buck tag also has what appears like symbols punched on it. It has a triangle, an arrow, one that looks like a balloon star, and another like a cross.
Interesting to say the least. I have zero experience with Metuchen cars and I'm told there were quite a few differences. Have you looked a Marti's book? It doesn't appear to be complete as others have said, but it does have a lot of good facts.

My tag was (or what was left of it) right out in the open attached with 1 screw at the top of the rad support to the side of the headlight. I guess they vibrate and break off. Seen several like it.

It will be interesting if someone else can decipher it.

Thank you to all for the info! Too many individuals to mention...

I didn't know what a Buck Tag was...

Based on the info provided by all, I have a close answer to every entry on my Buck Tag.

Funny, there seems to be 1 irregularity though... My Buck Tag has an "AM" (for AM radio?) My car has the am/fm stereo radio option.

I've learned this tag just has a little more info on it than the door ID plate that I've always been familiar with.

AM stands for AM/FM radio, according to Kevin Marti's Buck Tag book.

AM stands for AM/FM radio, according to Kevin Marti's Buck Tag book.
Just for the heck of it, I looked at my original build sheet under "Audio". ( build sheets were usually placed under the carpet under-pad behind the drivers seat)

All it shows is an "A" under AM/FM ST. Would it show a "F" if it were an AM/FM stereo installed? My car definitely came with only an AM radio and my buck tag was long gone. It is a bit confusing to say the least. Would a tag for an AM/FM have FM stamped?

Any more thoughts?

Back