Tranny help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guy started with the tranny /clutch build up and install. Right on par, nothing has went right:mad: First of all it was my understanding that a C6/FMX yoke would work with a toploader. So went to the local old car honey hole, they pulled a yoke from a truck with a C6. 15 bucks and on our way bay. Well its around a 1/4 inch bigger than my output shaft. So decided to mount the shifter which was supposedly from a 71 Mach 1. All of the shifter rods are to short:mad::mad: Now the tranny is a 65 model (HEH) with the correct length tail shaft for our cars. The main casing is a model number RF C5AR-7006-D: could this be the difference in my shift rods and yoke????????????????:huh: But the clutch did bolt right on to the new fly wheel which is the only thing that went right.

Is anyone out there?

Roy

I just dug out an old book I have and looking at the two types of 4 spds listed there is a Dagenham and Ford BW....the rods for the Dagenham are straight where the BW rods bend down slightly where they hook up to the shifter.

Don't know if this helps you any but almost sounds like you have a BW tranny and Dagenham shifter.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Also are you sure you have the linkage adjusted right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guy started with the tranny /clutch build up and install. Right on par, nothing has went right:mad: First of all it was my understanding that a C6/FMX yoke would work with a toploader. So went to the local old car honey hole, they pulled a yoke from a truck with a C6. 15 bucks and on our way bay. Well its around a 1/4 inch bigger than my output shaft. So decided to mount the shifter which was supposedly from a 71 Mach 1. All of the shifter rods are to short:mad::mad: Now the tranny is a 65 model (HEH) with the correct length tail shaft for our cars. The main casing is a model number RF C5AR-7006-D: could this be the difference in my shift rods and yoke????????????????:huh: But the clutch did bolt right on to the new fly wheel which is the only thing that went right.
I'm doing a toploader install to.

Is the tag still on the trans? If so, what is the full number? Do you have a number from the tail shaft housing? I've run across some mix and match 4 speeds in the past.

Chuck

Back