Ned Help ID'ing Part

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
My experience was that it was not windlace. Windlace was used up to the 70 model year as a binder on the headliner at the door opening and at the area pictured on your car. It is actually a rounded foam core with a vinyl covering attached to the qtr. trim panel. The windlace is a metal u-shaped inner channel with a vinyl covering. I could not find it reproduced so I obtained some black vinyl and had my upholstery guy sew it around a foam tube core and then re-attached to the qtr panel trim. Edge along the door opening. I will try and get a picture later tonight.

My experience was that it was not windlace. Windlace was used up to the 70 model year as a binder on the headliner at the door opening and at the area pictured on your car. It is actually a rounded foam core with a vinyl covering attached to the qtr. trim panel. The windlace is a metal u-shaped inner channel with a vinyl covering. I could not find it reproduced so I obtained some black vinyl and had my upholstery guy sew it around a foam tube core and then re-attached to the qtr panel trim. Edge along the door opening. I will try and get a picture later tonight.
See first link from Mustang Unlimited: pinch-on windlace sold by foot??

The type that NPD sells (which I used) is a metal core covered with vinyl. It is still called 'windlace'. The foam core stuff is not what is needed on this application.

Funny thing is, Windlace , as it's spelled in the catalog, is not in the dictionary and also comes up as a misspelled word here. Hmmm !

Stanglover I would still respectably disagree. I took eddyW's picture and blew it up. I assume this is still the original part and not replaced yet in his cars life. The picture to me shows the same cotton cord inner core. I do not think they used a foam core in the original, but my interior guy had a foam rod that was the same diameter so we used that. I am aware of the reproduction part you are referencing. I think I still have a pair somewhere. To me they did not duplicate the original enough so I went the path I took.

IMG_2036_zpsjdjub0vt.jpg

door trim zoom.jpg

bkdunha, I just looked at my repo "windlace" and yes, it does contain either foam or some other material to pad it, so perhaps I gave the wrong impression. I know the edging you are referring to, it's used along sharp metal edges to finish it off neatly. The windlace is a draft-stop in this case, so it should have some softness, foam or a cotton material. I can't remember what was in my originals, didn't pay any attention to it as they were just plain ratty looking.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Ford Parts & Service nomenclature was: Windlace, Door Opening and Quarter Pillar. There were left and right part numbers with the suffix depending on the interior color. The factory colors were blue, vermilion, ginger, green, black, and white. At least someone is offering those for our 71-73's. Most of the time we are on the "Outside looking In"!

I just did as others did. I went to our local upholstery and foam supply and got some white vinyl, they gave it to me since I only needed about 3" across the roll. I bought the rope core and sprayed 3-M contact on and made my own. Not trying to win trophies just wanted the ugly space filled. Depends on what you are after. It cost me like $2.00 for mine.

DSC_2431.JPG

I had the same issue on my 73 vert. The windlace had turned into that gooey gray stuff thought the PO had done that but it looked just like yours. I was not going to pay crazy price for theirs and not be 100% match. Not going for trophies anyway. I went to local upholstery supply and they gave me the 3" wide piece of white vinyl I needed and I bought some cord the correct size and just sprayed 3-M contact on it an made my own. See pics. Depends on what you are looking for I got rid of the gooey mess and closed up the hole. So my fix is less that $2.00. Looks alright to me and nobody will know what is right except a MCA judge that will never see it.

DSC_2427.JPG

DSC_2430.JPG

DSC_2431.JPG

Suggested parts arrived today from NPD but I have yet to open the box as I am knee deep completing my rear suspension rebuild, drivers side is done.:)

I had the same issue on my 73 vert. The windlace had turned into that gooey gray stuff thought the PO had done that but it looked just like yours. I was not going to pay crazy price for theirs and not be 100% match. Not going for trophies anyway. I went to local upholstery supply and they gave me the 3" wide piece of white vinyl I needed and I bought some cord the correct size and just sprayed 3-M contact on it an made my own. See pics. Depends on what you are looking for I got rid of the gooey mess and closed up the hole. So my fix is less that $2.00. Looks alright to me and nobody will know what is right except a MCA judge that will never see it.
The dreaded rear interior 1/4 panels-complete with aftermarket speaker cut outs... I just shake my head every time I look at mine, knowing there are not many options out there...

Back