Beginnings 72 Coupe Resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe 302 Auto RHD
Finally got around to getting some photos of my midlife crisis part 2 project sorted.

After buying the vehicle a few months ago on a whim and getting it past the wife who seems to like it so far my initial excitement is somewhat subdued by the enormity(including cost!) of what is ahead although I'm sure many have been there before. Hopefully the missus doesn't get wind of the cost!

Being a garden variety coupe this will not be a concours restoration or a show car but a restoration of sorts with a few modifications.

At the moment will be replacing the cowl panels and both side floor pans - see pics below

My main problem is going to be sorting out the rough incomplete RHD conversion and getting it through the engineering/registration process

At this stage I will have to ditch the Falcon steering set up and install a RHD RRS power rack & pinion

Main reason is PO hasn't installed it correctly and I don't have the skills to modify the chassis or get the geometry right

Much easier albeit costly to go with the rack set up

Okay here are some pics below

P1020832.JPG

Front view with panels removed

P1020884.JPG

Rear view

P1020827.JPG

RH firewall mess from PO

P1020848.JPG

Left side of cowl rust

P1020854.JPG

Underside of left cowl

P1020856.JPG

upper cowl removed showing lower cowl

P1020858.JPG

upper cowl - many spot welds!

P1020864.JPG

Underside of left lower cowl showing new non air con cowl

P1020865.JPG

lower cowl - note 2 air con brackets

P1020882.JPG

view of the rusty floor

P1020891.JPG

this is why you should remove seat platforms - yuck!

Will update with more pics but better get back to work

P1020892.JPG

I thought they changed the law in oz so that you could drive a left hand car if 25 years or older?

I thought they changed the law in oz so that you could drive a left hand car if 25 years or older?

Yes they did but if you want a daily driver the LHD car is just a bit harder to live with so there is still some reasons to have a RHD conversion.

I think Ozcoupe has bought the car with a partial RHD conversion commenced and no doubt got it pretty cheap as a result ::thumb::

Yes they did but if you want a daily driver the LHD car is just a bit harder to live with so there is still some reasons to have a RHD conversion.

I think Ozcoupe has bought the car with a partial RHD conversion commenced and no doubt got it pretty cheap as a result ::thumb::
You're spot on I bought it RHD partly completed but badly done. Too late to put back to LHD now and too much work.

Seems it was several owners previous that started the conversion but gave up so hopefully I can get this done but will be a massive challenge!

I have a big job ahead of me trying to sort out the steering and brakes set up so it all works.

Been busy last couple of months replacing floors, redoing firewall sections and replacing cowl panel among other things.

Finally got all the RHD stuff to line up including having to modify the original Mustang pedal box with a section of Aussie falcon box plus it was better to use the falcon pedal which matched the falcon booster for travel. Went for the RRS RHD power rack & pinion which is a bolt in fit (only had to drill some holes) which although expensive was far better than the unknown steering setup that came with the car and I'm no expert at steering geometry anyways.

Anyway back to work and a few pics below. Mick

images of high quality

You are going to have a clearance problems with the wiper linkage on the driver's side. It needs room in the vent bowl. I made that mistake and spent a frustrating time trying to 'clearance' with a long punch and hammer after the cowl was all back together. I would cut out the bowl and cover it flush.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to have a clearance problems with the wiper linkage on the driver's side.  It needs room in the vent bowl. I made that mistake and spent a frustrating time trying to 'clearance' with a long punch and hammer after the cowl was all back together. I would cut out the bowl and cover it flush.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure if I will have problems yet but will check the wiper linkages before welding in the top cowl. The covers I made for the vents are the same size as the vents so don't see how they would get in the way? Perhaps you mean the pivot partially sits in the bowl? If this is the case then you are right and I will just remove the riveted cover I made and make a cover for the lower part of the bowl. Some people doing RHD conversions have radically altered the cowl by moving the wiper motor across to the right but from what I gather from others is they just modify or extend the right side wiper arm. I'll stick with the modified wiper arm. Regardless it won't be easy! Cheers Mick

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to assemmble the linkage and just set the upper cowl in place. Don't forget to work it back and forth. I think it needs almost 1/2 inch into the bowl. Just the drivers side.

No worries i will do this. Not sure if I would have checked all this and probably would have just got excited to get the upper cowl welded in.

Luckily for me this forum has vigilant members who have been down this road and this is one less mistake i will make on this journey.

Thanks again!

By the way did you put in a new cowl non a/c into a/c vehicle? I think Dynacorn is releasing an a/c cowl soon but only differences I can see is one vent blocked on a/c type and if using factory air you will need to use brackets from your old cowl.

I'll be using an Old Air air con kit hence blocking both vents.

Hi Mick

Congratulations on the progress and excellent workmanship on the project so far. I too found clearance problems with the LH (passenger side for some) wiper arms and the plenum air intake. Best to sort that prior to welding the top on. I fitted XB Falcon fresh air ducts and heater to EL Grande but we do not need air cond all year round down here. I don't have air cond at all so the fresh air vents really help. I would love to see to see photos of the RRS rack fitment when completed. Do you have know which exhaust extractor/header will fit with the rack?

Hi Mick

Congratulations on the progress and excellent workmanship on the project so far.  I too found clearance problems with the LH (passenger side for some) wiper arms and the plenum air intake.  Best to sort that prior to welding the top on.  I fitted XB Falcon fresh air ducts and heater to EL Grandé but we do not need air cond all year round down here.  I don't have air cond at all so the fresh air vents really help.  I would love to see to see photos of the RRS rack fitment when completed. Do you have know which exhaust extractor/header will fit with the rack?
Hi Len

Haven't checked this thread for a while been busy

Yes I found out thanks to computercarguy and moved the bowl cover underneath

I will post some photos of the rack hopefully in a few weeks as I have removed it getting ready to work on the engine bay

Easy fit and just need to drill a few holes

From what RRS tell me so far headers shouldn't be an issue but I'm a long way off from that

Perhaps large diameter 4 into 1 headers might have an issue but nothing a hammer/welder couldn't fix!

Starting to make some progress now. Finally got the floors done and primed with Interguard 269 red plus the firewall/cowl area.

I replaced the rear floor extensions with repro early 66-70 ones and only needed to tweak a couple of ribs.

Next will be getting the engine bay blasted/painted then I can put the dash, steering column, rack and wiring in.

New Old Air RHD air con kit is on its way so will also fit this.

Tomorrow I'm getting a disc brake rear end from a 1998 Falcon and will adapt this to the 9 inch rear including using the floor mounted hand brake.

P1020911.jpg

P1020916.jpg

P1020917.jpg

P1020918.jpg

P1020921.jpg

P1020923.jpg

P1020910.jpg

Some more progress on the coupe

Looked at dustless blasting as an alternative but once I spoke to our local dustless blaster he strongly suggested to dry blast it using glass beads. Reason being with the dustless wet blasting it would leave a wet residue which would get into various nooks and crannies and would be difficult to remove and perhaps cause rust issues further down the track.

As I only wanted engine bay, door jambs and luggage compartment done I took his advice.

Basically for anyone considering dustless blasting it is best for outer panels but not as good for areas where residue will be hard to remove in other words with the dry blasting it is easy to blow the residue away.

Another tip he gave is not to blast all areas underneath the hood or trunk lid i.e. don't blast any of the skin part only the ribs etc as the pressure can lift the skin above the ribs.

Anyway some pics below and hopefully get some bright red color on it next weekend

Oh and you might notice the trunk floor looks odd, PO has patched over the rusty floor which is a bit slack however for now I will tidy it up and replace the drop offs - new floor pan approx $100 USD but a whopping $380 USD shipping ouch!

Mustang blast photos.jpg

Mustang blast photos2.jpg

Mustang blast photos3.jpg

P1020927.jpg

P1020928.jpg

P1020929.jpg

The weather held out today so I got some color on the engine bay. Color is original Bright Red using Baslac single stage urethane.

Will do the rad support and chassis area in black hopefully tomorrow. Good to finally see some color going on but still a long way to go.

P1020934.jpg

Back