Power Steering Fluid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I have my Power Steering Services quick ratio box and their rebuild of my pump installed along with all of the new MOOG steering components. Fluid is next. I know that Type F ATF is spec'd by the factory but has anyone used Redline's power steering fluid? They say compatible for Type F applications. BTW, I am a fan of synthetics.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=79&pcid=27

I just finished rebuilding the Saginaw with faster ratio inners and installed with type F. Never had problems using what ford recommended since type F was designed to reduce foaming in case of cavitation in their A/T and power steering.

My engine rebuilder recommended Lucas synthetic engine oil in my new rebuild and I will stay synthetic in this regard. He then wanted me to go with Lucas synthetic transmission oil... I have always used Type F in all my Mustangs and never had an issue... checked out the Lucas Synthetic tranny fluid and it states right on the bottle, " except for Type F"; made that an easy decision for me. I went out and bought 16 litres of Type F for my rebuilt transmission...

My engine rebuilder recommended Lucas synthetic engine oil in my new rebuild and I will stay synthetic in this regard. He then wanted me to go with Lucas synthetic transmission oil... I have always used Type F in all my Mustangs and never had an issue... checked out the Lucas Synthetic tranny fluid and it states right on the bottle, " except for Type F"; made that an easy decision for me. I went out and bought 16 litres of Type F for my rebuilt transmission...
That is my dilemma. Finding someone using it. This for a power steering pump application and their site says it is good to go as a replacement for Type F ATF. I worked for years across the street from their original location so spent some time with them in their early days. I was left with the impression then, 20+ years ago, that they knew their stuff. I think I will give it a go. Appreciate the replies.

For what it is worth PSC is a big company that sells a bunch of modified Saginaw steering components and hydraulic assist parts to a lot of the Offroad crowd.

They recommend swepco 715 fluid

Synthetic oil is neat stuff, but isn't always better.

Back