DIY Front Suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

My 1971 Sports Roof has the Moog UCA and LCA along with the standard coil spring perches. These were all new when installed, Uh oh, been awhile! Low miles though. For my 1973, I went with the TCP's LCA and strut rods, plus Open Trackers Street Performance (Blueprinted) Later Style 67-73 Upper Control Arms with the rollerized spring perches.

I may want to rebuild my 1971 front suspension with the more modern rollerized setup. We all know that we can drop a pile $$$$, before we get started. I know that Qcode351mach can get the Street and Track UCA and LCA for a forum price.

Has any you out there in the forum installed one of these DIY kits?

OpenTracker Racing Products

DIY Roller Lower Control Arm Kit with bracing -$150.00

ml5rat.jpg

DIY Roller Upper Control Arm Kit (1967-1973) Mustang - $325.00

rckev6.jpg

Daze Cars-

DIY Roller Spring Perch Kit -$50.00

2quniud.jpg

http://www.dazecars.com/dazed/TestDIY.html

Just want to see how to enhance the front end with dropping the bank, left, right arms and legs!

Mustang7173 :bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the poor man, urethane bushings on the spring perches on both our 67 and 72. Cheaper and free moving as rollers in my opinion. Just drilled and added grease fitting. Always had problem with top shock bushing being pulled off center using stock rubber perch bushings on our 72. Much better improvement as far as ride also...

I did the DIY Roller Spring Perch Kit. If I had to do it over again, I'd of just purchased them already done. Was a major PITA.

Hello Jason,

Alright! I did a search on this subject and did not come across your thread. I see that I responded to it also. Can you tell any difference in driving and handling since the upgrade? I am interested in a pair of the plates.

Thanks,

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

I did not go roller on the LCA's but I did make my own stiffener plates and welded them on.

Here is the link.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-lca-stiffener-plates?highlight=stiffener

Hello Robsweden,

Here is the video that will get your attention. Watch the LCA twist when the brakes are applied! It is something to see how much deflection there is in the suspension!

1966 Mustang Strut Rod Bushing Issue

Hello Robsweden,

Here is the video that will get your attention. Watch the LCA twist when the brakes are applied! It is something to see how much deflection there is in the suspension!

1966 Mustang Strut Rod Bushing Issue

Great :)

This is going on my list !

Dynacorn makes a reinforcement plate

CONTROL ARM REINFORCEMENT LOWER

Part #: 3631JF

68-73

Hello Jason,

Alright! I did a search on this subject and did not come across your thread. I see that I responded to it also. Can you tell any difference in driving and handling since the upgrade? I am interested in a pair of the plates.

Thanks,

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

I did not go roller on the LCA's but I did make my own stiffener plates and welded them on.

Here is the link.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-lca-stiffener-plates?highlight=stiffener
Only have a little driving in on them as winter showed up and I started tearing the engine down. I still need to get my steering box rebuilt but even with the sloppy box it was night and day. Much less understeer.

That video is quite the eye-opener - nice find! ::thumb::

Question, though: how much of that flex is from the LCA itself, and how much is from the bushings themselves? I didn't see as much of the LCA flexing, as the whole assembly from the mounting point on the frame outward.

I too am anxious to hear how much of a difference the stiffening plates make on the LCAs. Seems like a fairly straightforward mod without costing a lot of $$$.

Hello Mister 4x4,

After watching many times, I started to focus on the LCA/Ball Joint/strut rod area. As you stated, the whole assembly is moving, plus you can just see the LCA twist. Between a better strut rod connection and boxed LCA's, it should eliminate the flexing of the suspension, thus providing a better driving experience.

mustang7173

That video is quite the eye-opener - nice find! ::thumb::

Question, though: how much of that flex is from the LCA itself, and how much is from the bushings themselves? I didn't see as much of the LCA flexing, as the whole assembly from the mounting point on the frame outward.

I too am anxious to hear how much of a difference the stiffening plates make on the LCAs. Seems like a fairly straightforward mod without costing a lot of $$$.

I don't disagree that every little bit helps. I'm also pretty sure that once the bushing flex issues were addressed, we'd see the LCA flex a LOT more, as it would now be the weak part of the assembly.

Another question: is it wise to replace the LCA main bushing with a set of bearings? Once the bearings decide to fail because of rigidity and the pounding the suspension produces, how messed up does the mounting point become, as well as how bad would the accident be when the LCA bearings finally let go?

I know I'm thinking worst case scenario here, but it seems to me that the bushings, however pliable, are a necessary component.

Again - not crapping on these mods in the least. Just trying to make sense as to whether the risk is worth the reward... or if there's really any risk at all. ;)

Are those regular rubber bushings or PUR?

I bought my Moog LCAs and installed as they came. I also have the PUR bushings but decided against installing. I was wondering if it was going to be too rigid.

1971 M-code Mach 1

It appears the strut rod itself is bending causing the illusion that the lower control arm is bending. The rubber strut rod bushing is only exasperating the issue.

What is the current opinion of the Delrin strut rod bushings nowadays?

I know rubber is generally too soft and poly is too hard (leading to rod breakage). I have a set of Midolyne bushings, and don't remember if they are recommended or not especially compared to Delrin.

Another question: is it wise to replace the LCA main bushing with a set of bearings? Once the bearings decide to fail because of rigidity and the pounding the suspension produces, how messed up does the mounting point become, as well as how bad would the accident be when the LCA bearings finally let go?
Not to mention the increased shock load on the entire LCA, due to it now being stuck between two hard places. I'm sure the original engineer/designers took the rubber bushings into account when they were doing their stress calculations. The strut rod ends are a good example, they were designed for rubber bushings.

All,

Perfectly valid concerns here. The rubber strut rod bushings are rubber so that the strut rods can move with the lower control arm. We have all read that polyurethane bushings can cause the struts to break due to the non giving properties of polyurethane.

I believe to resolve the concerns with the rollerized LCA's, the strut rods will need to be updated to solid mount with a pivot type system.

TCP Strut Rods

2vt475x.png

These strut rods will keep the LCA's in perpendicular alignment with the UCA's.

If you consider that the 1994-2004 Ford Mustang mustangs use wishbone LCA's

Check out the DYI LCA's process.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/06/RollerLowerArms/index.php

Good to see comments on this subject.

mustang7173 :bravo:

Back