Parts Costs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach I Q code
61 Impala
67 Chevelle
78 Bradley GT II
I was crippled by a case of Gout, so I got out my box of receipts of parts I had bought for the 72. Car was 2 grand, parts car another 2 grand.

All totaled including the cars....$10,910.51

I still haven't got the bill from some body work or paint, and Lord knows what else. my engine, rear and trans was all OK, so minor expense for them.

Anyone else figured out what they have invested yet?

So far, I'm in roughly $5K (including the original $1600 purchase price).

My spreadsheet says I'll be into it almost $21K (not including purchase price, or a paint job, or even a lot of the nit-noids I haven't figured on needing yet).

Hey - I've spent more and gotten less over the years... so it's all good.

I came up with a ballpark figure including the resto and the acquisition of the car itself (that I paid waaayyy to much for to begin with) of about 36.000€.

With todays conversion rate that equals 51 426 US$!!!!!

But, this is Europe, due to shipping and import taxes the parts cost almost twice as much as they do in the US.

Damn... I could have gone without knowledge of that sum. :mad:

I am over 20K including the cost of the car. But I had all the big stuff done. Engine,Transmission and differential. Still got paint, Trim and interior to look forward to. Carpet is new at least. I should be starting to buy some trim soon. I want to buy all the chrome parts for the exterior new so that when I go for paint I will have everything. Also need a new grill.

So far I'm at 15k thats includes the cost of the car and getting it across the border.....but I'm still looking at minor body work and paint. I haven't even touched the tranny yet, I'm told the engine is relatively new so it can wait.

I would be scared to add it all up.

During the first few months into the restoration, all I was buying were air tools and power tools to do the jobs......

I added mine up back a couple years. I was about $9K into the car as it sits, painted, insured and driving.

Keep in mind that I did ALL of the work myself - minus the final block and spray, which cost me a 70 Torino GT in need of a lot of work.

FWIW, the Mustang hobby is cheap compared to some of the other marques. I routinely feel sorry for my Mopar friends....

Hey! interesting thread!!...

Well... I´m From Uruguay in south america so, everything is twice it´s value... Due to shippings and taxes (actually is it a good guess to add 100% plus the original price for new stuff and 150-170% for used parts)

- I purchased my car for USD 7500 (an excelent price for the only mustang fastback for sale in my country in years)

- Then.. first was USD 200 (more or less) in hand tools to get ready to work in the car.

- Then... USD 360 in tyres

- Then, the biggest parts order that was USD 1571

- Then, USD 120 in a useless wheel sandblast and paint (i redid it myself as soon as i saw the awful work)

- Then... a sharp estimation of USD 2500 in paint materials (i actually had the polyester base and the claear coat in my garage but counting that, 3 gallons of the best primmer i could get and all the stuff needed, 2500 is a good guess)

- New battery for USD 110

- Then, USD 300 on electrical work (the only thing i didn´t do myself)

- Then another order for USD 250

- Some here and there mantainence stuff, we can guess USD 300

- And finally, an order for USD 404 in the last parts order still in it way...

Ok... Let me do the math... Ok... so i have spent USD 13,615... Lets say 14 K for some minor stuff i´m forgetting...

I´m happy with it... Any destroyed mustang hardtop, DESTROYED in every way is sold for 25K and up this days arround here...

I have an ORIGINAL car in the most irreplaceable stuff.. you can actually step your butt in the drivers seat and go anywhere with my car... That my friends, is a luxury in my country... and for 14K... Better...

Thanks for letting me do this math!! jeje

I have an ORIGINAL car in the most irreplaceable stuff.. you can actually step your butt in the drivers seat and go anywhere with my car... That my friends, is a luxury in my country... and for 14K... Better...
Damian,

Seriously, I'm VERY happy for you. You did an awesome job, and you did it (mostly) yourself. And for that relatively small amount of money? Brilliant. My wife is from El Salvador and she's told me stories of how the town she's from had a community van when she was a little girl...one van for the entire town. They would pile in and drive it to San Salvador for day trips. You, my friend, have a real luxury.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put myself in the "afraid to look" class right now. I do have a box that has all the receipts from paint, tools, parts, carpet, materials, whatever that SOMEDAY I MAY pull out and add up. My rough estimate is $7500 for the car, and approximate estimate of $4000 puts me at $11.5K...

As most all of us can agree, the "Project" is never "done"...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.. thanks steve!! You know... I feel lucky too... not only for the car itself but for being hardworker in spite of the oppinion of a lot of people that never thought i could do a good enough job in the classic car industry over here...

Uruguay is not a very pour country, i think El Salvador is more complicated nowadays, but besides the money, it is just hard to find a good piece of history here... We have been in difficult political times and society didn´t value things...

Anyway... i am just a young guy who loves to learn and work his ass off for the pleasure of owning a piece of history ;)

Thanks again!

Well.. thanks steve!! You know... I feel lucky too... not only for the car itself but for being hardworker in spite of the oppinion of a lot of people that never thought i could do a good enough job in the classic car industry over here...

Uruguay is not a very pour country, i think El Salvador is more complicated nowadays, but besides the money, it is just hard to find a good piece of history here... We have been in difficult political times and society didn´t value things...

Anyway... i am just a young guy who loves to learn and work his ass off for the pleasure of owning a piece of history ;)

Thanks again!
Things were different in El Salvador back in the day...they built a new road from San Salvador to the town my wife is from (Ciudad Arce) and it's paved now...things are better now, but it's still a dangerous place, especially since all the deportations of gang members from here. We want to go visit but because it's dangerous we'll wait until my daughter is older.

But anyway, I agree with you about restoring history. It sounds cheesy, but I think it's a way of not forgetting the past. And I love cars. :D

Scared to look or think about it:s

I don't know and don't want to know.

What I do know is therapy would have cost much more if there wasn't the stress relief I get from a nice ride.

I would be scared to add it all up.

During the first few months into the restoration, all I was buying were air tools and power tools to do the jobs......
all of the above, and I have a long way to go:exclamation: Oh, I share the gout affliction with you Don too! Luckily, it hasn't kept me down for several years...

Seeing these numbers & the number of cars I have to restore has me thinking that I "should" sell them now! Lol but I'm not going to...my boys (age 11 & 6) would kill me if I sold their cars!

Back