Factory style exhaust...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Drove across the border to Buffalo (Niagara Falls, NY) today to pick up my new exhaust system for the 429 vert. restoration. I had researched this aspect to see what was out there, some of the big vendors had bits and pieces that you could try to mesh into one system, but again, some parts for the 429 cars are not readily available. I did not want to take a chance on individual pieces. Of course my other option was a custom system here locally, but I wanted a complete factory looking system if possible.

Came across Precision Exhaust out of the Connecticut area and after touching base with them and seeing some of their work, I decided to purchase a complete turn key exhaust system from them. I did this through Don here on the site as I had first discussed this with him and he indicated he was a distributor of these systems. I like to give the business to the folks I first touch base with, to keep things fair...

Very pleased with the initial product out of the box, appears to be well constructed, bends, etc in the right places. The true test will be when I go to install, especially the h-pipe, hopefully all goes well.

If you are looking for a factory style exhaust out of the box, so far I would definitely give this company a thumbs up. Don will write you up... I'll let you know how it fits...

Precision exhaust for vert.jpg

Precision exhaust for vert2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great and seems to be well made. Good luck with the install as installing exhausts is one of those jobs I try to get out of doing. Hopefully it'll just all fall into place and won't give you too many hassles.

I bought the same setup from the same place. Fits like a glove! (Not OJ's glove, just a glove.)

kcmash

Looks great and seems to be well made. Good luck with the install as installing exhausts is one of those jobs I try to get out of doing. Hopefully it'll just all fall into place and won't give you too many hassles.

True enough... but that is why I went looking for a complete pre-packaged system. This gentleman seems to be on top of his game and is very confident that it will fit as long as the original factory exhaust manifolds are in place. The install here consists of 4 clamps on the intermediate pipes, the bolt up to the manifolds + your hangers. If all else is in place, this is not a difficult job, a little tedious yes...

Is that all one welded piece? If so, you'll have to drop the rear axle for installation.

Is that all one welded piece? If so, you'll have to drop the rear axle for installation.
It looks that good?

Separate H pipe, intermediate pipes. The tail pipes are welded to the mufflers.

Ken, that is a great looking system! I have a NOS exhaust system stuck back for Money Pitt #2's (one day) resurrection. When laid out, it looks identical to your system. Says a lot about the quality of the Precision exhaust. The only difference is the factory intermediate pipes are welded to the mufflers and mine has the locator tabs for the chrome exhaust tips.

Money well spent! ::thumb::

Ken, that is a great looking system! I have a NOS exhaust system stuck back for Money Pitt #2's (one day) resurrection. When laid out, it looks identical to your system. Says a lot about the quality of the Precision exhaust. The only difference is the factory intermediate pipes are welded to the mufflers and mine has the locator tabs for the chrome exhaust tips.

Money well spent! ::thumb::
NOS system, nice... I would not even try to put one of those together today, the costs would be ridiculous. Even I have my limits on what I am willing to spend and would only do an NOS system if I was never going to start or drive the car and ensure that I could keep it from rusting (not going to happen). Although my car is pretty original, it will never be as delivered factory perfect hence, does not warrant the expenditure of searching out all NOS parts. I have gone NOS on many parts where i can locate and the costs justify, but items such as NOS tires would run $1000/piece and who trust those on the road... Really, you are reaching thoroughbred status at that point, which was not my goal. I am happy to return this once almost parts car... back to it's near former glory.

I am sure this exhaust mfr. would do the locator tabs for a rear valance cut out had I ordered that, but he did a nice job on the factory style turn downs which my car came with, part of the overall sleeper look for this car. :)

Ken, what is the pipe diameter? Is the sound supposed to be stock or a little louder? Once you get it all together I'd love to hear how it sounds. Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks!!!

Ken, what is the pipe diameter? Is the sound supposed to be stock or a little louder? Once you get it all together I'd love to hear how it sounds. Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks!!!
System is 2-1/2 H pipe into 2-1/4 intermediate pipes, muffles and tail pipes.

Mufflers louder than stock

Don

H-Pipe fits like a glove... I am still amazed at how a shop can duplicate a pre-packaged exhaust system from spec without the car there, that in this instance is a 429 dual exhaust 'stang, no easy feat. This is an indication that this particular company is very good at what they do and wish to ensure the customer is happy initially... Carry on...

H-pipe installed3.jpg

System is 2-1/2 H pipe into 2-1/4 intermediate pipes, muffles and tail pipes.

Mufflers louder than stock

Don
"Mufflers louder than stock", well I don't think the factory system kept a 429cj too quiet back in the day... I am sure these will be just fine to replicate close to the factory sound. I'll do a sound clip one day, but that is a ways off at this point.

Ken, what is the brand of scissor lift you have and how do you like it?
BendPak Scissor Lift - a very well built scissor lift.

Last edited:
I used these same guys for a dual system with H-pipe on a 302 69 coupe. Fantastic fit. I would say that the mufflers are a tad on the quiet side, but the exhaust system was just fantastic. Highly recommend them. There was not a huge cost to ship, and I even live in TX. So, I had an excellent experience with them.

Back