72ESA

Stock Eliminator '72 351C

Making some progress towards my goal of running at least a second quicker than the NHRA E/SA index of 11.70 sec in the 1/4 mile. As of last September, the best run has been 11.055 at 118 mph. A few more upgrades in 2017 will get the car into the 10's at over 120.

DSC_0722.thumb.jpg.7edfad2cecb81bf4560c3da56555a90d.jpg

WIN_20160110_182333.thumb.JPG.589afe5e7bf0e1760fb041c9bef21d3a.JPG

D/E/F Stock-Automatic Mach 1

That is pretty hot car for sure. Can you share what is in the car to get it to this point and stay in stock rules? Looks like it lifts very even how did you stiffen the chassis?

When I get my 72 Q code automatic back together would like to do some light strip runs nothing like yours just for fun. I was also interested in front and rear shock combo you use? Do you have a video of a run you can link?

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

That is pretty hot car for sure. Can you share what is in the car to get it to this point and stay in stock rules? Looks like it lifts very even how did you stiffen the chassis?

When I get my 72 Q code automatic back together would like to do some light strip runs nothing like yours just for fun. I was also interested in front and rear shock combo you use? Do you have a video of a run you can link?

Sorry David, no video - we'll capture some this year.

The shocks are Calvert 90/10 with fixed valving in the front and Strange double(compression & rebound) adjustable in the rear. We use Calvert traction bars with Flex-Form composite mono leaf springs along with stock type front suspension that features upgrades from Open Tracker and Global West. Frame connectors keep things rigid.

The engine is a '72 351C HO rated by the NHRA at 325hp. It actually produces closer to 500. The rules allow the use of a Ford aluminum dual plane intake along with a 780 Holley vac secondary cab. The trans is a C4 with a Dynamic converter that stalls at approx. 5400 rpm. Rear end is currently stuffed with 5.14 gears spinning 9 x 30 radial slicks.

A good friend of mine used to race his 70 Mach-1 M code car in AHRA stock class g/o. At one time he held the world record for that model of car with an ET of 12.30 (as I recall).

...anyway, the stock class had some interesting allowances for the engine...seems they allowed for different cam timing events but required the lift to remain stock.

What mods to the engine does the NHRA allow for your class?

A good friend of mine used to race his 70 Mach-1 M code car in AHRA stock class g/o. At one time he held the world record for that model of car with an ET of 12.30 (as I recall).

...anyway, the stock class had some interesting allowances for the engine...seems they allowed for different cam timing events but required the lift to remain stock.

What mods to the engine does the NHRA allow for your class?

Without going into a great deal of detail, the rules tie your hands in a couple of key areas; air flow and rotating weight(no power adders of course). Lots of changes in recent years - any valve job is acceptable, roller rockers are OK now and you can bore to +.080". The IHRA makes their rule book available to anyone online in digital format.

Are the NHRA and IHRA rules pretty similar?

Very impressive ET for your car, by the way! How much does it weigh?

Are the NHRA and IHRA rules pretty similar?

Very impressive ET for your car, by the way! How much does it weigh?

Some subtle differences between the two - Indexes are 3 tenths quicker in the NHRA. 12.00 vs 11.70 in E/SA. IHRA allows one battery in the trunk; NHRA wants one of equal size/weight left up front. NHRA will not allow aluminum diff carriers unless OE for the car. You can use a 10.5 wide slick in the IHRA. Nine is the max in NHRA; 30" dial for both.....I think that's most of them.

The minimum weight for my combo in "E" is 3420lb including the driver.

Great effort on your part. Thanks for sharing with us. Are you crossing at about 6950 RPM? Keep us posted. Chuck

Great effort on your part. Thanks for sharing with us. Are you crossing at about 6950 RPM? Keep us posted. Chuck

Closer to 7200 Chuck.

Closer to 7200 Chuck.

I guess I didn't allow enough for convertor slip. Thanks for joining the site.

Closer to 7200 Chuck.

I guess I didn't allow enough for convertor slip. Thanks for joining the site.

I actually hooked up 5 years ago..... just been hiding.

Dutch-Classic-2018.jpg

2018 season is a wrap....managed a personal best of 10.93 at 119.94 mph back in July. This pic was taken at Maple Grove Raceway during the Dutch Classic NHRA National Open in September.

That is awesome. You need to submit that for the 2019 calendar photos!

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Awesome!!!!

- Mike

Very impressive! Do you have any Sponsors?

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

So very cool, thanks for sharing this with all of us!

John - 72 Q Code

You are flying, congrats! Do you know Vern B.? He runs a 1973 351C. Chuck

You are flying, congrats! Do you know Vern B.? He runs a 1973 351C. Chuck

I met Mr. Buchanan at the US Nationals a few years ago...I was spectating. He gets a lot from his '73 combination...very fast in his class.

Very impressive! Do you have any Sponsors?

No sponsors....just the potential contingency payback from an eliminator win or runner-up. I work in the performance aftermarket business and that helps to save significantly on parts.

Super inspirational for my build.

Thanks for the post.

I’m building a stroker cleveland at the moment.... with decent size custom cam, all forged rotating assembly, 10.5 compression and a high port intake configuration.

You pulling the wheels in that big body gives me lots of hope I won’t be disappointed in my car when finished next month.

Mine is 68 coupe that has been back halfed with big steam rollers underneath. I bought it this way so I’m not real sure what is going to be capable of..... it’s got a Powerglide 3500 stall, and trans brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk