Tire / Wheel Combination

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
It is time for new tires and wheels on my 73 Mach 1. I currently have the 14 inch forged aluminum wheels and will be changing to Magnum 500 wheels. After doing some research it looks like P/235-60-R15 tires will offer nearly the same diameter as the current F70-14 tires so speedometer accuracy impact will be minimal. I am struggling with wheel size - 15X7 or 15X8? I wish to have the same size tire front to back. I have read many articles from 71-73 owners indicating that 15x8 wheels are the way to go but I don't want any suspension interference. Does anyone have the 15x8 wheel size up front? This car will be an occasional driver only - no hard driving or racing.

I had 15X8 magnums with 245/60/15 tires on the Mach 1 and they fit and looked perfect!

Regards Tom

With a 235/60/15 you would want the 15X7" wheel. An 8" wheel would be too wide for that tire.
Sorry Jeff, for once I don´t completely agree with you.

Whether that goes with a 235/60/15 is basically a matter of taste. Technically a 8 inch wide wheel fits a 235 tire perfectly, as 8 inch convert to 20,5 cm and the tread is 23,5 cm.

But if you want the tire to bulge on the side, the rim might be a little too wide. (I had 255/60/15 on a 7 inch wide rim, because I wanted that vintage race tire look)

However the deeper dish of the 15x8 will compensate for that and make the wheels look wide, even without a bulging tire.

You won´t have any issues with suspension travel or clearance with an 15x8 rim.

I´d personally go for an 15x8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I bugged a friend of mine for some pics of his Charger.

This one has the desired 15x8 with 235/60/15 tire combo up front. (The rear is a 15x10 with a 275/60/15)

As you can see the 15x8 looks great! (The rest of the car too by the way!)

IMG_8998.JPG

That's OK Mike we can agree to disagree. My point of reference are the 235s on my car with the 7" rims. Also since he is going for a stock look and Ford never used an 8" Magnum I think it is his best choice. Mike it's OK... you can be wrong. :D LOL

I was looking for a vintage look too and the best i could get with my exitent 14" x 8" wheels was 225/75/14

It is a rare tyre choice but according to some measurements i did, was the most factory looking combo. The diameter is 1/8" bigger than the original choice (i actually found a website that informs all this details... i I remember correctly the diameter they said was for a 1971 351 BOSS)

Well... my wheels has the vintage look but i hace to say, they look pretty big too... In the front, they hide too much into the fenders... I have no clearance problem, even with fast turns, braking, but I have the car in his 128 cm, original ground to roof tall and it looks more agressive than it supposed to..

With 14" wheels, my guess is 235/70/14... The tire is actually 1,5 cm shorter and a little wider that looks better in the rear...

Here is an old pic but shows more or less, the looks of both rear and front ends... hope it helps!

2010-11-13 11.17.54.jpg

Mike it's OK... you can be wrong. :D LOL
You remind me of my wife! :D

I could agree with you but then we´d both be wrong! :p

With 8 inch wide rims, it will still look factory stock, only with a little twist to set it apart.

Thanks for the help guys. I have decided on the 245-60-R15 tires on the 15x8 Magnum 500s. This combination will

look great against the blue glow paint and argent stripes. Can't wait to get this car back on the road. It has been

sitting in various garages since 1987 and has not logged a single mile since.

Sorry I went bigger

Front- 17x8 with 4.5 backspacing

245/45r17's

Rear- 18x9.5 with 5.5 backspacing

275/40zr18's

*The green car is not mine just same size wheels*

w1.jpeg

w2.jpeg

my mustang 301.jpg

I'm running 15x10" rims on the back with 295/60 tyres and 15x8" on the front with 235/60's which were on the car when I bought it. Total track width on the back is less than 1" below standard. I think this is the biggest tyre you can fit under these things without rolling the guard or other mods.

It's funny, but when the wheels are off the car they look absolutely massive, but when they are on the car the huge rear quarter panels make the wheels look fairly average in size to me.

wheel.jpg

It's funny, but when the wheels are off the car they look absolutely massive, but when they are on the car the huge rear quarter panels make the wheels look fairly average in size to me.

Yup, when you see my 285/40/18 on the garage floor, they look like barrels but as soon as they´re on the car they look puny!

Weird effect..... :-/

Yup, when you see my 285/40/18 on the garage floor, they look like barrels but as soon as they´re on the car they look puny!

Weird effect..... :-/
And not to mention the potential for getting a hernia lifting the monsters off the hubs Mike :(

Flat, What wheels are you using on the rear, Magnums? What back spacing? Are the tires 295/50 or 295/60? I cannot find a 295/60.
I just went outside with a torch to get the details of the tyre for you Droptop and discovered they were 275's not 295's. It looks like I've been driving around the last year and a half living a lie!! :mad: :blush:

For what it's worth, the tyres are SIGMA P275/60R16, and the rims are "smoothies" as seen in my signature pic. I know for sure they are 10" rims though because I saw the stamping inside the rims when the tyres were off. Not sure of the backspacing, but the track width tyre center to tyre center is 60 inches. I've had the car loaded up with people with no tyre scrubbing, but on very very rare occasions I've heard a brief tyre scrubbing noise on certain types of road bumps - I reckon one tyre could be touching the inner wall of the tub if the bump causes the diff to angle more than is usual.

Back