Steering wheel cover

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
Has anyone purchased and installed a leather steering wheel wrap sew on?

I have looked at a few on eBay any how do you know which one will fit?

Looks like most are very wide for the modern cars.

I have not bought one but as you know the 1973 had the leather wheel as an option. I ordered one on my 73 Mach 1. I have been looking at the ads on eBay also one does show for Mustang. I want to put one on my 73 vert also. I think the sewing part is just take your time they punch the holes in the wrap I believe and it is a baseball stitch. I think you give them the model some wheel dimensions and they make for that diameter wheel and grip size. It is much more comfortable for sure. I have rim blow on couple and they are a pain. When I back up I always honk the horn, lol.

100_2228.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Grant GT Challenger wheel for my '82 Mustang, and I loved it. I also picked up one of those sew-on leather covers from the same parts store I'd purchased the wheel from. I was fortunate that it had the full wrap (around the thick hard foam rim, no less), but the diameter was too large. I wound up cutting the cover, trimming to the right length, sewing the ends back together, then installing it with the seam at the bottom. Looked almost like a professional job - would've looked every better had I been smart and pulled the wheel off the car to sew it on. rofl

As far as which one to purchase, that's a tough call. Your best bet would be to take a clothes tape and measure the thickness (circumference) of the wheel rim itself, then measure the wheel's diameter. Check with the local parts store - if they have some sew-on covers, you can maybe see if something they have would fit, but make sure the perspective covers have enough 'wrap' as well as the right diameter, otherwise, it's just a waste of money.

I currently have one of those old-school covers that you wrap and secure with the plastic lace - I love it... but it doesn't have enough 'wrap' to completely cover the wheel (there's a gap on the inside of the rim all the way around. I'll be looking for another that will actually fit better, or go with a leather sew-on cover if I have to. (I just grabbed it from the local parts store, not paying attention as to whether it would fit or not). It does the job well enough, but I think I can do better.

Thanks guys for the info and yes you have given me ideas as a starting point, Thanks for that....

On a more serious note David why does your car have socks on the pedals? That made me laugh hahahahahahah.

Ive been carrying around my extra three spoke wheel in my truck the last couple weeks. Intend to stop at the local upholstery shop in the city to see what they would charge to leather wrap it for me.

Ive been carrying around my extra three spoke wheel in my truck the last couple weeks. Intend to stop at the local upholstery shop in the city to see what they would charge to leather wrap it for me.
Please let us know how much with pics when you get it done.

I bought a Grant GT Challenger wheel for my '82 Mustang, and I loved it. I also picked up one of those sew-on leather covers from the same parts store I'd purchased the wheel from. I was fortunate that it had the full wrap (around the thick hard foam rim, no less), but the diameter was too large. I wound up cutting the cover, trimming to the right length, sewing the ends back together, then installing it with the seam at the bottom. Looked almost like a professional job - would've looked every better had I been smart and pulled the wheel off the car to sew it on. rofl

As far as which one to purchase, that's a tough call. Your best bet would be to take a clothes tape and measure the thickness (circumference) of the wheel rim itself, then measure the wheel's diameter. Check with the local parts store - if they have some sew-on covers, you can maybe see if something they have would fit, but make sure the perspective covers have enough 'wrap' as well as the right diameter, otherwise, it's just a waste of money.

I currently have one of those old-school covers that you wrap and secure with the plastic lace - I love it... but it doesn't have enough 'wrap' to completely cover the wheel (there's a gap on the inside of the rim all the way around. I'll be looking for another that will actually fit better, or go with a leather sew-on cover if I have to. (I just grabbed it from the local parts store, not paying attention as to whether it would fit or not). It does the job well enough, but I think I can do better.
I have the same wrap as Eric. It's the same set up I had back in the 70's and still looks good today.

Back