Head identification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1972Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1979 Trans Am
1996 Mustang Cobra
1991 Mustang LX Coupe
1988 Mustang LX Hatch
Can anyone tell what these heads are, I know there are many different head variations out there, so I thought I'd see what you guys think.

4V7.jpg

4V1.jpg

4V3.jpg

4V8.jpg

4V2.jpg

3dd28975009cf1b0319b57a5b33f3083.jpg

I think this is the same head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the same head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4v10.jpg

The reason I was curious was the size of the studs

4v11.jpg

D1AE-GA quench heads. Pretty much the bread and butter 4v quench head. Looks to have been converted to run 7/16" rocker studs with guideplates. Cant tell if they are set up for 5/16" or 3/8" pushrods.

I'll check tomorrow, I have a set of '70 closed chamber to compare them to.

I took some more pics of the head I had the questions about, also some pics of another set of heads I have to compare them to. If you see anything that stands out to you, let me know, I'm still not so sure about the heads that have the paint on them. I almost think those screw in studs were not machined.......

Thanks for your comments!!!

4VC2.jpg

4VC4.jpg

4VC5.jpg

4VC6.jpg

4VC7.jpg

What about this code?

OM4.jpg

This code is from the rusty heads without the screw in studs

9K6.jpg

Would the OM4 be December 4, 1970? If that's correct, could that possibly be an early 1971 Boss 351 head? Or are these just a basic 351 4V closed chamber head? Is there any other way of figuring out for sure what they are?

Thanks

Here's a link from Network54 http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/message/1222929635/Date+codes

Here's a guy that sold a pair of heads with your date code...says they are boss heads: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-Boss-351-REAL-R-code-4V-Cylinder-Heads-D1AE-GA-RARE-ORIGINAL-/112229186637?hash=item1a21617c4d%3Ag%3AEm8AAOSwa%7EBYP8E%7E&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=raSU0cb1DgI6qSc5JLNo1zld%252ByQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Another completed auction advertising boss heads with date codes that bracket yours: http://www.justbuyspares.com/single-262592788850.html

I thought I had a link to a listing of date codes for this casting number which identified the range for boss vs cc 4v heads but I couldn't find it. All indications are you have a set of boss heads.

Edit: Upon closer look, the network54 post shows 0M9 as a 71 M code and also noticed your heads have milodon brand guide plates....while that doesn't conclude anything, if they were OEM ford PN's on the guide plates, would give slightly more credence to them being boss heads. So. I guess the jury is still out on whether these are original boss heads. If I turn up anything concrete, I'll post up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your input. Not sure if I should save these and use a different set of closed chamber heads??? These are in very good shape just a little dirty. I bought them and two 4 bolt main blocks back in 1985 for a '73 Gran Torino Sport, wrapped them up in plastic and put them in a closet, completely forgot about them. If you figure anything else out about them that might prove they are Boss 351 heads, let me know. They might end up on my '72 Mach 1. Thanks

Edit: Upon closer look, the network54 post shows 0M9 as a 71 M code and also noticed your heads have milodon brand guide plates....while that doesn't conclude anything, if they were OEM ford PN's on the guide plates, would give slightly more credence to them being boss heads. So. I guess the jury is still out on whether these are original boss heads. If I turn up anything concrete, I'll post up.
Exactly what I was thinking. I believe the jury is out on weather the castings were machined for guide plates or not and given BOSS pedigree. There is no real way to prove as any GA head could be machined as such.

Of course any good seller worth his salt will claim they are genuine BOSS heads, but require you to dig for the proof.

I'm not going to sell them, it was one of those things that I was just wanting to know for myself if they were a little better than the average head. I got these back in 1985 with a couple 4 bolt main blocks and they've been wrapped up ever since.

Back