2018 2019 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
Heard rumors that the mach 1 will make a return for 2018 or 2019. 2019 would be 50th anniversary edition. Has anyone else heard any rumors? I may really consider getting one!

If it is like all the Mach 1's in past will just be some stickers and name plates. Nothing on a Mach 1 any year that added performance that was not available on other models. That is how the car companies make big money sell you the hype for lots of cash and give you a few stickers & trim in return. The Boss cars gave you something different but not the Mach 1. Sort of selling you a makeup job not performance.

I always liked the looks of the mach 1 though. The shaker scoops and interior. If the price was not crazy I'd be interested.

If it is like all the Mach 1's in past will just be some stickers and name plates. Nothing on a Mach 1 any year that added performance that was not available on other models. That is how the car companies make big money sell you the hype for lots of cash and give you a few stickers & trim in return. The Boss cars gave you something different but not the Mach 1. Sort of selling you a makeup job not performance.
That is even true of our cars, right? Mine was born as a Mach 1 with a few nice guages and the comfort weave interior, a scooped hood and the Mach 1 decals, grille, gas cap and honeycomb. The performance was a snoozer for the day. 351C 2v/ FMX/ 3.00:1 open rear end and single exhaust.

Just sayin, the Mach 1 package has always been a trim package more than a performance upgrade.

kcmash

Idiots. They posted Eleanor (not a Mach 1) and called her a Mach 1. More proof that everybody simply thinks that all 71-73s are Mach 1s.

Stickers, rims, and name plates. I wonder (doubt, actually) if they'll carry through with the '05' in the VINs.

That is even true of our cars, right? Mine was born as a Mach 1 with a few nice guages and the comfort weave interior, a scooped hood and the Mach 1 decals, grille, gas cap and honeycomb. The performance was a snoozer for the day. 351C 2v/ FMX/ 3.00:1 open rear end and single exhaust.

Just sayin, the Mach 1 package has always been a trim package more than a performance upgrade.

kcmash

The 03-04 Mach 1's had a unique powertrain that was close to a Cobra engine but tuned for more low end torque. If they came out with another one I think it would have a unique powertrain as well. Also had a functional shaker hood too!

Like David had posted, the sportsroof could be ordered with the same content the (05) Mach1 could be minus the "Mach1" decals and the chrome exhaust tips (71-72 on the tips).

As mwilson7 mentioned, the 03-04 Mach1 became a little more entitled to wear the Mach1 name. Upgraded interior and trim along with unique instrument clusters, wheels, brakes, etc made this one a much different car from the GT. It had the 4.6 DOHC engine minus the Terminator's (Cobra) supercharger. Plus...it had the Shaker Ram air system just like on the Boss Mustangs. This same engine also saw use in the 03-04 Mercury Marauder.

So I look for Ford to come up with some good stuff if they do indeed build a Mach1 on the present Mustang chassis. Ford along with a lot of "Tuners' have been getting some insane power and horsepower numbers out of the new Coyote 5.0 engine. The different variations and special editions Ford has released in the present and the previous chassis (S-197 2005-2014) have been nothing short of amazing. Boss 302's, 662HP GT500's, Trac Keys, Brembo brakes, something for everyone's wish list!

The 03-04 Mach 1's had a unique powertrain that was close to a Cobra engine but tuned for more low end torque. If they came out with another one I think it would have a unique powertrain as well. Also had a functional shaker hood too!
Right! I have an 04 Mach 1. Several performance differences over the base and GT's of the same year. It has the 32 valve engine like the Cobra, but not a super charger. Bigger brakes, lower suspension, functional shaker, seat contour and style is different and a retro style instrument panel. I don't recall all the differences off hand but I enjoy the car.

I like the '03-'04 Mach 1s as well.

I hope they make the new ones more special than just a really expensive sticker kit. Kinda like what Chevy did with the Z-28 - the high performance version of the latest generation was the 2SS... until they came out with the Z-28 - which was along the same caliber as the Z06 'Vettes (definitely more than just stickers & trim).

Make the Mach 1 special, and worth the extra expense. Kinda like they did with the Boss 302... but maybe not THAT expensive/exclusive. ;)

Like David had posted, the sportsroof could be ordered with the same content the (05) Mach1 could be minus the "Mach1" decals and the chrome exhaust tips (71-72 on the tips).

As mwilson7 mentioned, the 03-04 Mach1 became a little more entitled to wear the Mach1 name. Upgraded interior and trim along with unique instrument clusters, wheels, brakes, etc made this one a much different car from the GT. It had the 4.6 DOHC engine minus the Terminator's (Cobra) supercharger. Plus...it had the Shaker Ram air system just like on the Boss Mustangs. This same engine also saw use in the 03-04 Mercury Marauder.

So I look for Ford to come up with some good stuff if they do indeed build a Mach1 on the present Mustang chassis. Ford along with a lot of "Tuners' have been getting some insane power and horsepower numbers out of the new Coyote 5.0 engine. The different variations and special editions Ford has released in the present and the previous chassis (S-197 2005-2014) have been nothing short of amazing. Boss 302's, 662HP GT500's, Trac Keys, Brembo brakes, something for everyone's wish list!
The 03-04 Mach 1 got the 02 Cobra engines

None of them shared the 03-04 terminator engine, that engine was a beast.

It would handle 20 + PSI and 7000 RPM's and it just kept pulling. It was like a mini Cleveland just loved high RPM's

The 03-04 Mach 1 got the 02 Cobra engines

None of them shared the 03-04 terminator engine, that engine was a beast.

It would handle 20 + PSI and 7000 RPM's and it just kept pulling. It was like a mini Cleveland just loved high RPM's
Just for clarification, Ford did not produce any 2002 Cobra's in the USA. About 100 were produced and sent to Australia. The Mach 1 engine was based on the 2001 Cobra engine. Here is an excerpt from an article about the comparison:

Some people assume that the Mach 1's four-valve engine is identical to the DOHC 4.6 used in the '01 Cobra. True and false. Basically, it's the same engine, except for the Mach 1, Team Mustang enhanced the performance with high-flow four-valve heads, higher compression, new cams (from the 5.4 Navigator, reportedly with the same lift as the '01 Cobra cams but with different overlap and duration), revised calibrations, and improved exhaust manifolds that are also port-matched to the heads. The result is, well, actually less advertised horsepower than the '01 Cobra--305 to 320--something that may be attributed to the Cobra's marketing status as the top-of-the-line performance Mustang.

Mike is correct on the MIA 02 US version Cobra. The 99 Cobra launch was a disaster. It just would not run and was actually slower than the 98. We replaced intake manifolds, pcm's, and complete exhaust systems under a Ford TSB program trying to get them to run. The 91's ran better with improvements from SVT who burnt a lot of "Midnight Oil" working on fixes but still didn't run like they should have. We were an SVT dealer and were told by Ford we would not be able to order any 02 Cobra's as Ford was "Regrouping" and working on something significant for 03! The SVT Contour was no longer in production so the very well selling and extremely hard to get F150 Lighting was it for 02. There were some minor engineering differences, but the 03-04 Mach1 basically used the same high flow heads as the 03–04 SVT Cobra, 03–04 Mercury Marauder, 03–05 Lincoln Aviator, and the 03–09 Australian Boss 5.4. Camshafts were "borrowed" from Lincoln's 5.4 Liter "InTech" V8 to give it more mid range grunt. The Mach 1 engine had a 10.1:1 compression ratio vs the 1999-2001 Cobra's 9.85:1 And just like a Cleveland with good compression, they hauled A$$!

Was originally scheduled for a one year run, but sold so well Ford wisely added a additional model year of production. We sold every unit we could beg from Ford.

Mike I see you have an Azure Blue which I'm sure you already know was a exclusive Mach1 only color..Beautiful color on those cars. My brother-in-law has one but claims he'll be buried in it!

So all this boils down to you can bet that If Ford does build a new Mach1 it will be more than stripes and "Look at Me" stuff. Ford has found that special edition models like Mach1's, California Specials, Bullitt's, etc are cash cows and need to be "Milked"! :whistling:

Mike is correct on the MIA 02 US version Cobra. The 99 Cobra launch was a disaster. It just would not run and was actually slower than the 98. We replaced intake manifolds, pcm's, and complete exhaust systems under a Ford TSB program trying to get them to run. The 91's ran better with improvements from SVT who burnt a lot of "Midnight Oil" working on fixes but still didn't run like they should have. We were an SVT dealer and were told by Ford we would not be able to order any 02 Cobra's as Ford was "Regrouping" and working on something significant for 03! The SVT Contour was no longer in production so the very well selling and extremely hard to get F150 Lighting was it for 02. There were some minor engineering differences, but the 03-04 Mach1 basically used the same high flow heads as the 03–04 SVT Cobra, 03–04 Mercury Marauder, 03–05 Lincoln Aviator, and the 03–09 Australian Boss 5.4. Camshafts were "borrowed" from Lincoln's 5.4 Liter "InTech" V8 to give it more mid range grunt. The Mach 1 engine had a 10.1:1 compression ratio vs the 1999-2001 Cobra's 9.85:1 And just like a Cleveland with good compression, they hauled A$$!

Was originally scheduled for a one year run, but sold so well Ford wisely added a additional model year of production. We sold every unit we could beg from Ford.

Mike I see you have an Azure Blue which I'm sure you already know was a exclusive Mach1 only color..Beautiful color on those cars. My brother-in-law has one but claims he'll be buried in it!

So all this boils down to you can bet that If Ford does build a new Mach1 it will be more than stripes and "Look at Me" stuff. Ford has found that special edition models like Mach1's, California Specials, Bullitt's, etc are cash cows and need to be "Milked"! :whistling:
The 2004 Azure Blue Mach 1 was signed over to my step-son several years ago. He recently got married and traded the Mach 1 in for a SUV! I'm sure this story is familiar to many. I need to take it out of my signature! I still have my 04 Oxford White Mach 1 and my son has the 2001 Bullitt.

Back