351C Intake and carb choices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heardatbeat

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Afternoon everyone, I got my hands on a Mach 1 with a 351C a few months ago and it is time to start upgrading some components. I was wondering if anyone was running the Weiand Hi-Ram intake manifold? Any thoughts on it? What sort of carbs did you pair it with? That sort of thing.

P.S. this will be a street car only. No racing besides the occasional blowing Honda's out the road. :D

EDIT: This is the hood scoop I was talking about adding to my car. My car had ram air but it got stolen when the previous owner had it. I found this image online. I think this one belongs to someone on this forum.

Mach 1 1972.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That manifold is intended for heavily modified engines that can reach high RPMs (8,000 to 9,000) and primarily for competition drag racing. Plus, you will have to cut a hole in the hood for the carburetor(s).

For a street/strip car with an unmodified or slightly modified engine you'll be better off with a dual plane intake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I see well none of that then. Any ideas on how to raise the air cleaner above the hood? There is a photo floating around here of a Mach 1 black with an awesome oversized hood scoop and would like to do it to mine as well.

You can get a shaker hood scoop that connects directly to the carburetor and sticks up through the hood, if you want the full benefit of ram/cooler air. Otherwise, any hood scoop that is open will feed cooler air to an open air cleaner. One problem with an open hood scoop is that they can mess with flow of air through the radiator.

I'm saving up for the 8 Stack :whistling:

o6a9f6.jpg

Really?! That sucks. How does it mess with it? The look is just so cool. I have the photo of the car in my phone. I will upload it when I can.

The radiator depends, in part, on lower air pressure under the hood created by the front valance/splitter. At speed an open hood scoop can increase the air pressure under the hood, reducing the air flow through the radiator. It's not usually a concern for cars that just cruise around town.

The radiator depends, in part, on lower air pressure under the hood created by the front valance/splitter. At speed an open hood scoop can increase the air pressure under the hood, reducing the air flow through the radiator. It's not usually a concern for cars that just cruise around town.
I imagine a strong enough electric fan would alleviate that?

Personally I wouldn't add a scoop to a scooped factory hood. I think the added scoops do look good on the 'regular' hoods. Since you have the factory scoops you might consider looking at adding the RAM option. This will direct the air from the factory scoops right into the air cleaner. Do some searching as the use of a factory RAM system requires certain height manifolds and can also restrict the types of aftermarket distributors since the larger ones interfere with the air cleaner.

Personally I wouldn't add a scoop to a scooped factory hood. I think the added scoops do look good on the 'regular' hoods. Since you have the factory scoops you might consider looking at adding the RAM option. This will direct the air from the factory scoops right into the air cleaner. Do some searching as the use of a factory RAM system requires certain height manifolds and can also restrict the types of aftermarket distributors since the larger ones interfere with the air cleaner.
I have thought about adding the ram air into the car but I want to stand out just a bit from adding the usual options to it.

If you were to raise the air cleaner above the hood, you could construct an air dam to seal off the area between the hole in the hood and the air cleaner. That would eliminate the issue of interfering with air flow through the radiator. One thing to consider is rain or washing your car....open hood scoops allow your air filter and engine to be exposed to these element and is generally not desirable. Most of us probably don't drive in the rain, so I's likely a moot point.

Another thought is to use the ram air setup to seal off the unwanted air flow and go ahead and put your big scoop on.

Back