SEM interior paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I was looking on NPD website and looking to buy some SEM interior paint. Has anyone used this paint and can anyone tell me how many cans i am going to need to paint ALL the interior trim parts? Is there only one shade of green (Medium) used on 71-73 Mustangs?

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_interior_paint_spray_71_73_medium_green-141608-2979.html
I used it on my interior. Works great just follow the instructions and don't put it on too thick a coats or it will change the sheen. Maybe practice with the kick panels first as they are out of the way. I did mine in black some I can't speak for the color. Qcode has a great how to

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-prep-interior-parts-for-dye?highlight=Interior

Steve, SEM products are very good. I used SEM Trim black for many years to finish the prototype air induction products I built for the Auto industry with great results. Follow the instructions and use the associated primers where required. Prep and cleanliness are key to a good result.

Qcode351's video and following posts are very useful. Pity it's on a "Camaro"!!

Good luck with it,

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wound up buying 8 cans of the SEM Black Metallic, 2 cans of Adhesion Promoter, and 2 cans of Texture. I cleaned everything thoroughly, smoothed out the edges of any really rough gouges I had (not many), and wiped down with a 'surface prep' wax-remover/degreaser before applying the products.

The adhesion promoter softened the surface a bit, which helped the texture stick really well. The color covered really well, but I went with 2 light/medium coats (with 20-30 minutes between), rather than the single coat coverage SEM suggests will work.

All-in-all, I like it - it did a great job!

I think I still have 2 cans left, after repainting literally everything in the car (including quarter trim panels, full center console, seat backs, and all of the hard trim pieces).

Get more than you think you need... and you'll have it for touch-ups as well.

I am also using the 1971 medium green spray paint from SEM that I ordered from NPD. I'm almost done with all the painting after using 2 cans. I wish I had ordered 3. That green is the perfect match for my 71 Coupe. I've not seen any other 71 green interior color in spray can.

I recently purchased some of the medium ginger dye for my interior. I love SEM products but this can seemed seriously watered down. Not sure if it was just this color that needed to be this way. Usually it is very opaque but I almost needed half a can just to paint a single piece of a-piller trim.

Back