FiTech EFI Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

I have the FiTech EFI 400 on the way to replace my Holley Carb. Ye ha! I will be installing the Tanks, Inc PA-4 Tank fuel pump. If you remember, Autoedit installed the PA-4 in Big Marge.

My plans are to install FiTech EFI and PA-4. I have read many threads about the return fuel line and the vapor line.

I am going to purchase a new tank to fuel pump line and run it parallel to the factory installed fuel line. Next, while the updated tank is out, I will cut two small holes, using hole saws, in the cross member to plum the gas and vapor lines through to connect.

The goal here is to make it look stock as possible.

2cgldnt.jpg

2qdyhpt.jpg

Keep you post on my progress.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome; looking forward to seeing how it all goes for you; i've been window shopping the Fitech and holley sniper systems and they look pretty awesome.

I have high hopes for your install; seems like these systems are going to be really great bang for the buck!

iceberg65,

I have a Colleague who has, be careful here, 1968 Camaro, 396 and a 1967 Camaro, 327 with the FiTech 400 and 600 along with the Command Center. It is amazing the difference it makes. I spoke to him on Friday, and he stated that the 396 had not been started in week. He went out, turn the key, and it fired on the first crank and just purred.

The FiTech, IMO, is the way to go. Especially if you are on a budget!

mustang7173

I've honestly found a lot of praise for the FiTech systems! If the exchange rate to usd wasnt so harsh right now I'd probably have one on the shelf, as of now I'm putting money into a few other things on the car an keeping an eye on them.

Keep us informed how it works out. I have one on my F-100. LMK if you have any questions.

IMG_3322_zpsvubzfsas.jpg

IMG_3327_zpsej6csay7.jpg

iceberg65,

I hope you can find a way to get one in the future!

Thanks,

mustang7173

I've honestly found a lot of praise for the FiTech systems! If the exchange rate to usd wasnt so harsh right now I'd probably have one on the shelf, as of now I'm putting money into a few other things on the car an keeping an eye on them.

All,

FYI! I was reading in the FiTech instructions, fuel delivery systems, and at the end of the section, it states that if one uses another fuel delivery system, please contact FiTech support to see if the fuel delivery system is compatible with their EFI system. Failure to do so could void your warranty. Well, Ok then. So, I have sent support an email to make sure the Tanks, Inc PA-4 is compatible. I will let ya'll know their response.

mustang7173

All,

FYI! I was reading in the FiTech instructions, fuel delivery systems, and at the end of the section, it states that if one uses another fuel delivery system, please contact FiTech support to see if the fuel delivery system is compatible with their EFI system. Failure to do so could void your warranty. Well, Ok then. So, I have sent support an email to make sure the Tanks, Inc PA-4 is compatible. I will let ya'll know their response.

mustang7173
Looking forward to hearing what they say. I'm looking at the same setup for my car. Keep us posted.

MeZapU,

Man, that looks great. Where did you mount the command center? Thanks for the heads up on your install. I know it runs really well?

mustang7173
I mounted the command center down by the mechanical fuel pump on the frame rail. It's a truck so I had lots of room. If you look at the engine bay picture closely you can just make it out under the upper radiator hose clamp.

The only thing that I had to do that wasn't mentioned very well was run a return line to the tank for the vent on the command center. I assumed, it was just a vent and no big deal, but it would constantly spit some fuel so I had to cobble one up. I still have the in cab fuel tank so I had some issues. You should be able to use the factory vent line on your mustang and capitalize on that.

The other small issue was that everyone claims the much improved throttle response. That's true because both primary and secondary butterflies move in unison. I changed the location of the throttle cable as high as possible on the arm to lessen the tip-in, as it was actually annoying to drive at times. Now it drives as you'd expect.

Overall I am quite pleased. I do miss the manual nature of a carb at times. I liked the charm of the manual choke cable, but the EFI is much more refined. Being in a truck the carb tune was temperamental when I would tow or it was cold. No more of that. It cranks for a second or two then lights off when cold. Hot starts are much quicker. It never stalls and the idle is programmable with the controller. The torque is improved notably but I have no dyno numbers to qualtify. Also fuel mileage, but I have not taken any highway trips to compare. I feel I gained an easy 2mpg's in town.

I just received my FiTech Meanstreet 800. The motor isn't done and ready to install so I can't put this baby on yet, BUT I'M DYING TO!!! I also bought the FiTech command center. I'm hoping for great things. I've read a lot of great reviews and I don't think I've read one bad one yet.

FiTechMeanStreet800.jpg

I am in the process of installing one. I have been side tracked with some trunk rust issues so it is going to be a while until it is all completed. I decided against using their FCC (Fuel Command Center) due to the bad reviews. I opted to buy a Robbmc sump pump and to connect the return line through the charcoal canister vent line. On top of the fuel tank I have a custom attachment made out of a non-working sending unit. You can use your vent but you may want to drill the small hole in the fitting.

I am installing the Robbmc pump in the location where the charcoal canister was. It fits great in there and it is next to the return line and close to the fuel lines. If you are concerned about it being to close to the headers you can wrap the pump with insulation. My headers are ceramic coated and I decided to wrap the bottom of the pump with insulation. Once I am done I will prepare a write up with pictures and more details, but I will wait until all is running well.

Link to the PowerSurge pump from Robbmc: http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/powersurge.html . Rob uses one with a FiTech EFI in his own car so there is proven record of it working together.

MeZapU,

Looks like a good place to mount. Glad to hear how much better it is than the carb. Look forward to installing mine!

mustang7173

MeZapU,

Man, that looks great. Where did you mount the command center? Thanks for the heads up on your install. I know it runs really well?

mustang7173
I mounted the command center down by the mechanical fuel pump on the frame rail. It's a truck so I had lots of room. If you look at the engine bay picture closely you can just make it out under the upper radiator hose clamp.

The only thing that I had to do that wasn't mentioned very well was run a return line to the tank for the vent on the command center. I assumed, it was just a vent and no big deal, but it would constantly spit some fuel so I had to cobble one up. I still have the in cab fuel tank so I had some issues. You should be able to use the factory vent line on your mustang and capitalize on that.

The other small issue was that everyone claims the much improved throttle response. That's true because both primary and secondary butterflies move in unison. I changed the location of the throttle cable as high as possible on the arm to lessen the tip-in, as it was actually annoying to drive at times. Now it drives as you'd expect.

Overall I am quite pleased. I do miss the manual nature of a carb at times. I liked the charm of the manual choke cable, but the EFI is much more refined. Being in a truck the carb tune was temperamental when I would tow or it was cold. No more of that. It cranks for a second or two then lights off when cold. Hot starts are much quicker. It never stalls and the idle is programmable with the controller. The torque is improved notably but I have no dyno numbers to qualtify. Also fuel mileage, but I have not taken any highway trips to compare. I feel I gained an easy 2mpg's in town.

Do any of you know if FITECH provides any info regarding how aggressive of a cam they can support? I ask because on another forum I read, someone ended up returning the FITECH system to them after their own tech support stated that his engine was modified beyond the FITECH's capability to properly control it. I think they mentioned his single plane intake and cam.

My understanding is that since these EFI systems rely on the O2 sensor to set air fuel mixture, the controls don't work well with a radical cam that produces significant unburned hydrocarbons (even when they're tuned correctly). Some of these EFI system provide the capability for the user to program in their own fuel curve to overcome this issue. I don't know which systems do and don't allow this.

Do any of you know if FITECH provides any info regarding how aggressive of a cam they can support? I ask because on another forum I read, someone ended up returning the FITECH system to them after their own tech support stated that his engine was modified beyond the FITECH's capability to properly control it. I think they mentioned his single plane intake and cam.

My understanding is that since these EFI systems rely on the O2 sensor to set air fuel mixture, the controls don't work well with a radical cam that produces significant unburned hydrocarbons (even when they're tuned correctly). Some of these EFI system provide the capability for the user to program in their own fuel curve to overcome this issue. I don't know which systems do and don't allow this.
Check out this thread. They have a list of many applications and settings. They have some aggressive cams running as low as 6".

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-efi/875969-fitech-efi-tuning-tips-info-sharing-ideas-settings-etc.html

There are settings in the handheld controller where you can select the camshaft type. Stock/street-strip/race, if I remember correctly but it's been about 10 months since I installed mine. It gives no delineation of which one to select. It is completely up to the installers interpretation. I'm running a Comp XE254 cam that pulls about 14in/hg of vacuum at idle so I chose the street-strip selection and it works fine. The settings are only to build some initial start tables and will be overwritten once the computer starts it's self learning routine.

I have seen some other EFI systems of this type having issues on some engines. Usually from low idle vacuum or bad valve jobs causing vacuum fluctuations and reversion. They love to blame it on the manufacturer and rarely take any personal responsibility. A manufacturer cannot possibly account for all the variables on cars. I had a customer who tried to install a Powerjection III system onto his Solid roller cammed 472ci Hemi in his 68 Charger. It just wouldn't run. Had to start it with starting fluid and then would belch black smoke constantly. It was so far outside the realm of a typical small block engine that it overstretched the self learning capabilities of the unit. A custom Pro Systems 1000cfm carb had it running with ease, but a drop in EFI conversion was just a silly assumption by the owner. There comes a point where custom components and tuning are required if you diverge too far away from a typical street engine combination.

Mike is correct, they have 4 settings for cams based on vacuum, 15 inches or more (stock), 10 - 15 inches (mild street build), 8 - 10 inches (street/strip), and 6 - 8 inches (race). So, for most of us we should be able to find a setting that works.

Back