4 speed manual transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelsonlucero

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 Q code
Hello, I noticed that my manual transmission drops out of 3rd. gear just by the vibration of the car ... Similarly, the shifter drops a bit when the car is put in reverse but does not fall "out" as it happens on 3rd. gear.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? How much should I expect to pay for a complete rebuild if I go that route?

Thank you.

Nelson.

Hello, I noticed that my manual transmission drops out of 3rd. gear just by the vibration of the car ... Similarly, the shifter drops a bit when the car is put in reverse but does not fall "out" as it happens on 3rd. gear.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? How much should I expect to pay for a complete rebuild if I go that route?

Thank you.

Nelson.
I would say you will pay $400 -$500 for gaskets/bearings/ and syncro bushings. Of course it becomes al-a-cart based on what is worn out.

I think you need to plan on $1100 as a median price for what it may cost you. Contact David Kee Toploaders to see what the swap price is there for a rebuilt.

kcmash

Before condemning the trans I would make sure that your shifter isn't messing things up for you.

Popping out of third is a common problem though, so perhaps the sync rod are getting tired.

Rebuilding one isn't too difficult if you have a bench where you can keep the parts

Organized...

Last edited by a moderator:
250 for parts, 250 for labor when When I had mine done, but I pulled and installed. Used the Dave Kee road race kit and had a local builder go through it.

Shifter would be the first suspect. It is is aftermarket and has adjustable stops, back out the stop (towards the front of the car IIRC) for 1st 3rd and reverse until it makes no contact, and take a test drive.

Thank you.

Nelson.
I would say you will pay $400 -$500 for gaskets/bearings/ and syncro bushings. Of course it becomes al-a-cart based on what is worn out.

I think you need to plan on $1100 as a median price for what it may cost you. Contact David Kee Toploaders to see what the swap price is there for a rebuilt.

kcmash
Thank you very much !

Thank you.

Nelson.

kcmash
Thank you !

Before condemning the trans I would make sure that your shifter isn't messing things up for you.

Popping out of third is a common problem though, so perhaps the sync rod are getting tired.

Rebuilding one isn't too difficult if you have a bench where you can keep the parts

Organized...
Thank you

250 for parts, 250 for labor when When I had mine done, but I pulled and installed. Used the Dave Kee road race kit and had a local builder go through it.

Shifter would be the first suspect. It is is aftermarket and has adjustable stops, back out the stop (towards the front of the car IIRC) for 1st 3rd and reverse until it makes no contact, and take a test drive.
Awesome... Thank you .

You should check with Dan Williams he has done more toploaders than all others combined. He use to make all aluminum cases for the racers but demand dropped. He sells kits from every small part, gasket and bearing to individual parts. He can supply you any toploader with any tag number for any model Ford. If you have a boss 9 and need one he can help. Any BB he has. He is local to me and is real. He is old timer like me his hours are 12:00 noon to 12:00 midnight, lol. This is link to his web site. http://www.toploadertransmissions.com/

I warn you if you call him he will talk your ear off and is full of info on Ford transmission.

Anyone with a good pair of transmission snap ring pliers and Ford repair manual can rebuild one.

He is funny and he is a big Ford guy.

No way is it going to cost a thousand dollars to rebuild a manual transmission. Heck I cannot even get that for one that needs no work, lol.

You should check with Dan Williams he has done more toploaders than all others combined. He use to make all aluminum cases for the racers but demand dropped. He sells kits from every small part, gasket and bearing to individual parts. He can supply you any toploader with any tag number for any model Ford. If you have a boss 9 and need one he can help. Any BB he has. He is local to me and is real. He is old timer like me his hours are 12:00 noon to 12:00 midnight, lol. This is link to his web site. http://www.toploadertransmissions.com/

I warn you if you call him he will talk your ear off and is full of info on Ford transmission.

Anyone with a good pair of transmission snap ring pliers and Ford repair manual can rebuild one.

He is funny and he is a big Ford guy.

No way is it going to cost a thousand dollars to rebuild a manual transmission. Heck I cannot even get that for one that needs no work, lol.
Thanks very much for the advice... I will reach out.

Just a note...... I have been rebuilding Ford manual trans Toploader and T5s (and also muncie and T10s) and the recent surge in china junk has made its way into the kits being sold. Some not all kits are sold like any other business, for profit not customer satisfaction. I threw a rant on another forum after installing a kit (picking the better used factory parts over some of the new cheap crap)

Look at the kits, ask where the parts are made, (even though liars will say USA). Like I say "Ford spent millions on research, I doubt a 3rd world engineer can make stuff better"

A can of spray paint won't make a bearing last longer or the trans shift better, FORD did not use plastic thrust washers and neither should you.

The retaining rings are junk, throw them away and use the originals if you have them, way better quality.

Back