Mega shifter vs std shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big dog

Reaction score
My Car
72 351 2v Mach 1 project just purchased
Hi all

Have had good feed back on this site and really helped with my 72 Mach 1 project

Thx for your help

So I have decided to keep the c6 and sort the leak out

Now would like your opinions on it has a b&m megashifter I like the look of it in the car never used one so know ideal what it's like, I'm from uk we don't modifie uk cars

With auto box's mostly stick shift

Or would you change it back to original shifter, I do not have that so will need to buy it

Regards Perrie

Hi all

Have had good feed back on this site and really helped with my 72 Mach 1 project

Thx for your help

So I have decided to keep the c6 and sort the leak out

Now would like your opinions on it has a b&m megashifter I like the look of it in the car never used one so know ideal what it's like, I'm from uk we don't modifie uk cars

With auto box's mostly stick shift

Or would you change it back to original shifter, I do not have that so will need to buy it

Regards Perrie
I think for a purely street driven car the factory shifter is the way to go. If you need to acquire one, try posting a wanted add in the parts wanted section here.

was it a manual trans and now u want to go to auto floor shift ??? not rear clear on the question. if it was a auto trans and wanting to keep it, my question is, is there a problem with the shifter or u just like the looks of the B&M.

Hi Perrie- you may be looking at a can of worms depending on if your C6 is the original

Transmission or not. The problem is the arm that comes through the side of the trans case that the shifter moves. Mustangs use a floor shifter with a shift lever for a floor shifter. Most transmissions though used a column shift, and thus have a different lever on the trans. You would need to confirm what you have (floor shift lever or column shift lever).

As far as the shifter goes, your aftermarket B&M works with a cable while the stock shifter uses a rod.

If your trans has the floor shift-style lever then converting back to the OE Ford shifter should be straightforward if you can get hands on the shifter and linkage.

Good luck!

I really like the B&M MegaShifter - the cool boot and T-handle with T-handle interlock look really sharp to me. In fact, I was planning on installing one in mine, until I learned that it would not sit down into the center console as low as I would've liked it to (that black plastic box on the bottom is a cover to hide the mechanics of the shifter, and can't really be trimmed off too much).

As far as street driving vs. racing applications? No concerns. The device is an automatic transmission gear selector - that's all... no crazy racing magic or anything of the sort.

It's really more a matter of pure aesthetics - do you want a factory-style shifter, or something that looks more performance, like the MegaShifter?

I had a B&M Mega shifter in my 71 grande. It fell apart in no time. For what it cost the quality just wasn't there. I switched to a B&M quick silver it worked very well.

This was in the late 80s. The quality may be better today.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the shifter? I like mine. I would never have just put one on but when I bought the car, it had a no-name aftermarket shifter that wasn't working all that well. So I went with the B&M. It works just fine and it's complicated enough looking that my wife won't even try to drive the car..lol performance wise, it's nothing different. But the guy I bought the car from thought he was some sort of "street racer" with a set of 3.50 gears, an aftermarket shifter and a one-legger...?

IMG_6460.JPG

Back