71 Mach 1 lower panel black paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDK

Reaction score
My Car
1971 MACH 1
I'm in need of touch-up paint for the lower stripe on the front fenders (black painted horizontal stripe). Unfortunately, I have no idea how it was painted initially, any ideas on a paint to us for small chips in the paint??

BDK

Well as for how they were done originally - they were not painted. Even the small stripe on the lower body (Décor Group) was not painted. You might post up a pic of how yours looks to see what ideas we can provide to help.

Ray

Easy,

First work out the gloss level of the black stripe on your car, then buy some lacquer in a rattle can for example to match that level as close to as possible. (mat/ semi / or gloss)

Shake can well, then spray some lacquer into the plastic cup lid, and use your pencil brush to touch up the blemishes.

Greg.:)

Well as for how they were done originally - they were not painted. Even the small stripe on the lower body (Décor Group) was not painted. You might post up a pic of how yours looks to see what ideas we can provide to help.

Ray
You sure about that?

Originally, the rockers were painted black. The paint wrapped into the door jam a bit and covered the bottom of the door sill as well.

The small stripe above it was a decal but it wasn't on the decor group, only on the side-striped cars. The decor group had a thin molding along the edge of the paint (10pcs).

Ray
You sure about that?

Originally, the rockers were painted black. The paint wrapped into the door jam a bit and covered the bottom of the door sill as well.

The small stripe above it was a decal but it wasn't on the decor group, only on the side-striped cars. The decor group had a thin molding along the edge of the paint (10pcs).
That's what I thought as well. Mine lower rockers are painted and the paint does wrap into the door jam as well....Greg, thanks for the tip. Will match up the paint and go from there...

BDK

Ray
You sure about that?

That's what I thought as well. Mine lower rockers are painted and the paint does wrap into the door jam as well....Greg, thanks for the tip. Will match up the paint and go from there...

BDK
We are all in agreement. I just didn't explain my response very well.

What I meant was the small pinstripe for the lower body paint treatment aka 1971/1972 Décor Group was actually a decal for cars with side stripes. The lower body WAS painted either black or Argent with corresponding decal. For non striped cars with Décor Group a thin bright moulding was used.

BTW 1971/72 Mach 1's all got Décor Group standard. Boss 351's got that treatment with side stripes too...

Sorry for the confusion. Ray

Back